New sow being chased and other pigs teeth chattering at her

• Thread starter Thread starter goldilocks
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goldilocks

Hi got a new guinea pig and everything seemed to be fine :) :) during floor time this morning but when in the cage my new guinea pig is being chased and the others are chattering their teeth :tickedoff:, is this normal? are they just sorting out a pecking order and will settle down or will I have to remove her from the cage?

please help someone had no problems when introducing my baby. this new sow is 8 months old my other pigs are 31 months times 2 and 12 weeks they get on fine.

thanks for reading

karen

This always happens when I introduce a new guinea. I usually do it gradually - over a few days or sometimes even 2 or 3 weeks. Try putting them on your lap together or sectioning off part of the pen so they get used to each other slowly. They can get quite nasty sometimes so if there's bullying, don't let it go on. Try feeding them together - a big pile of food usually goes down well but keep an eye on them when they've finished it. Don't give up - but sometimes takes a while and masses of patience.

I've got 5 sows and when I've introduced a new one I bring the old ones out one by one and let them suss each other out and spend a bit of time together rather than all the old ones together and the new one kinda like an outsider if you know what I mean. Haven't had any problems yet, maybe I've been lucky and just had ultra friendly pigs :) Good luck with yours, they will certainly be sorting out the pecking order, but it can be surprising, my youngest Rosie is a cheeky devil and walks all over two of the older pigs! (not literally lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back