New Single Guinea Pig Owner.

nwonorm

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve got this girl Guinea a couple months ago from my neighbor that was getting rid of her. Shes very shy as normal but now that I’m doing research on it I’ve realized that I don’t know if I’m taking good care of her. Ive learned that one Guinea pig is not advised. I cannot get a New Guinea pig right now but plan on to very soon. She still seems very scared of me when I go near her. She is addicted to this green castle thing I got for her. I try to take her out of her cage everyday for 2 hours on the floor so she can run around but she hides most of the time in the castle I put down so she has somewhere to hide. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make her feel better or get used to me? Thanks.

:wel:

For a guinea pig, particularly one who is already scared (and being single doesn’t help that), being in a big open space for floor time can be terrifying. She doesn’t know she isn’t going to be attacked from above. Best thing is to use a playpen where you can put a blanket over the top to help her feel more secure.

Also, most guinea pigs dont actually like being handled.

Definitely try to get her a friend. They are social animals and find comfort with a companion. The guides below will help you further as a new owner

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

And this guide will help with ideas for how to ‘speak’ to her and help her settle in

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

This guide will also help with how to pick her up. It is essential she is used to some handling as she needs to be weighed once a week and have important health checks done each week as well as nail clipping etc.
I only handle my piggies for those essential weekly checks and mine don’t like being held for cuddles (so I simply don’t hold them for cuddles)

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Thank you so much I will definitely take your advice. One question though, should I let her on the floor still for the 2 hours a day? Or just let her stay in the playpen?

Do what she is comfortable with. There is no point in her having floor time if she is too scared to move. Floor time does not need to be daily - once or twice a week is fine.

Make sure she has a good sized cage (minimum of 120x60cm for welfare purposes but 150x60cm is ideal when she has a cage mate) and she will get plenty of exercise in the cage where she is hopefully more comfortable.

A playpen offers a change of scenery though but again does not need to be every day

I have another question. What does it mean when she’s squeaking? It doesn’t look like she’s in pain and I don’t see anything so I have no idea.

I have another question. What does it mean when she’s squeaking? It doesn’t look like she’s in pain and I don’t see anything so I have no idea.

Piggies squeak for many reasons.
As she is a single piggy she is squeaking at you because she is trying to communicate.

Good on you for taking her in. Hope you can find her a little companion soon, you will see a noticeable difference once she has a pal

Back