New Rescue Not Eating

gknodle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just rescued a guinea pig from the humane society. He has been settling in and already took the submissive role with my other guinea pig. I have been separating them while eating just for now till they are more comfortable with eachother. Although, after the first day the new guinea pig has eaten his greens and hay but he is not touching his Vitamin C supplement or pellets. Is this normal for a new guinea pig or should I switch his food and supplement source?

:wel:

As long as he is eating hay then that is the important part.

Pellets aren’t actually needed in the diet so it doesn’t matter if he isn’t eating them.
They may also be different from that which he is used to.

Piggies with a healthy diet get all the vit c they need through their diet, and do not need vit c supplementation and as such we do not recommend any long term supplementation (there aren’t any long term owners on here who supplement with anything to healthy guinea pigs). Supplementation of any kind should only be used where there is a vet diagnosed need as a short course during a period of illness to boost the immune system.

Excess vit c above and beyond their dietary needs is simply excreted in the urine so at best supplementing is a waste of money. At worst It can cause their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts and then reacts with scurvy symptoms if that level drops. Any piggy on long term supplementation needs to be weaned off very slowly and carefully.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing him. A pair of boars are wonderful to live with ❤️

:wel:

As long as he is eating hay then that is the important part.

Pellets aren’t actually needed in the diet so it doesn’t matter if he isn’t eating them.
They may also be different from that which he is used to.

Piggies with a healthy diet get all the vit c they need through their diet, and do not need vit c supplementation and as such we do not recommend any long term supplementation (there aren’t any long term owners on here who supplement with anything to healthy guinea pigs). Supplementation of any kind should only be used where there is a vet diagnosed need as a short course during a period of illness to boost the immune system.

Excess vit c above and beyond their dietary needs is simply excreted in the urine so at best supplementing is a waste of money. At worst It can cause their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts and then reacts with scurvy symptoms if that level drops. Any piggy on long term supplementation needs to be weaned off very slowly and carefully.
I just started the vitamin C supplements, I used to not with my old pair. I read that they required vitamin C in their diet since they don’t produce their own and my initial thought was supplementation and that is totally my bad. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I’m thankful I have not done it for long at all 🙏

Back