New Pigs And Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojobear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm a new guinea pig owner - i bought - well i say bought I'm starting to think it is more of a rescue.
Theres 3 of them - brothers - about 1 year old. Two live together and 1 is on his own as apparently he got pucked on. They are ok to be handled although a wee bit skittish when trying to pick them up once theyre up theyr fine. The 2 together are eating - havent seen them drink. The single one i havent seen eat and his treens are pretty untouched. They all look healthy enough - bright eyes - coats are ok and no sign of mites etc. The big problem i have is they just wont come out of their hidey holes - the single one looks terrified although i can put my hand in and pet him hes just hiding in the corner. The two do come out but as soon as we approach theyre gone.
Is it just a time thing with them - and perseverance. Will they come round or are they passed gaining trust.

Hi I'm a new guinea pig owner - i bought - well i say bought I'm starting to think it is more of a rescue.
Theres 3 of them - brothers - about 1 year old. Two live together and 1 is on his own as apparently he got pucked on. They are ok to be handled although a wee bit skittish when trying to pick them up once theyre up theyr fine. The 2 together are eating - havent seen them drink. The single one i havent seen eat and his treens are pretty untouched. They all look healthy enough - bright eyes - coats are ok and no sign of mites etc. The big problem i have is they just wont come out of their hidey holes - the single one looks terrified although i can put my hand in and pet him hes just hiding in the corner. The two do come out but as soon as we approach theyre gone.
Is it just a time thing with them - and perseverance. Will they come round or are they passed gaining trust.
Maybe just perseverance i have 6 & only 2 will let us stroke them nicely. It's really time maybe, having said that you have to chase around the cage for the other 4. I'm a newbie so may someone more expert could help you

Hello and welcome to the forum. Well done for taking these boys on.

The behaviour you are describing is very normal for guinea pigs who have just arrived at a new home. Is your single boy in a cage next door to the pair so he can still smell and interact with them without actually coming in to physical contact with them? If not, I suggest that you do this. Although it is for the best that he has been separated due to the bullying, he will still appreciate piggy company.

With guinea pigs, it is all about time and perseverance. You may find this thread helpful which has been written by one of our experienced members :) How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Thankyou - the lady did say they will eat from your hands etc which ive not seen as of yet. The single one is still beside his brothers so are still in close contact. Sound like just a time thing then - hopefully settle soon. Were been very gentle and patient - even the kids so i think they will be fine

Hi and welcome!

Three adolescent boars rarely make it through the big teenage hormones to adulthood together. Most often, you either end up with one boar waging war on the others or two bullying the third. For the longer term, you may want to consider getting the son a character compatible new mate, but your actual options very much depend on where you are.

To help you with settling in your boys, you will find the tips in our new owners information bundle very helpful; we have got plenty! Sadly, many piggies have not had much in the way friendly human interaction and - in new territory - rely heavily on their prey animal instincts. They will take a few days or even weeks to get their bearings, so be patient; they will come round! ;)
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

We have got lots of information on all kind of subjects at the top of our various Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask any questions you may have along the way.

As we have members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations as much to your specific situation as possible straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

It can take time, anything from days to months for them to come out of their shells! It can be like baby steps with them, little breakthroughs of confidence, and each one is rewarding. Once they trust you it really is very rewarding, but it can take time. You also get some piggies who never do enjoy lap time or being stroked. I had one who wouldn't allow me to touch her (except sometimes I had to, for nail trimming etc), and yet she would sit on my slippers and nibble at the bow, and would eagerly come up to me for a nose-to-nose sniff. We had a bond, and it's a bond I miss to this day, but it wasn't a touchy-feely bond.
It is good that yours are fine on your lap. I always reward mine for being brave with a sprig of coriander. I've never met a piggy who doesn't love coriander :)
Currently I'm making friends with two youngsters who came to me yesterday. They are unsure of being around their new humans at the moment and are skittish. but they did take coriander from me this morning. It will happen, in time. They need to learn that your hands mean nice things coming - a nice treat, more hay, a new toy, an exciting paper bag. The hands = good :)
You can try catching them in a box type thing, or a fleecy pocket, there should be less fear that way :)

Hello and welcome to your piggies and you.
It sounds perfectly normal to me that they getting used to their new surroundings. Piggies are prey creatures and their natural instinct is to hide or to run from anything that casts a shadow over or near them. It takes time for them to learn to get used to you and their new surroundings. Always approach them making gentle noises or talking and be calm and patient with them. Even the most terrified piggy will usually come round after persistent kindness and bribery with herbs or their favourite veggies. Not all piggies like being handled even when they are used to you. Others are naturals at human interaction. It just depends on their individual personalities.
It's very early days for you and the piggies. Be consistent and patient and you will win them over.

Thankyou everyone for your replies.

Ill continue as we are being patient giving them time.

Ill also read all of the pages everyone suggested.

Ive always wanted guinea pigs but as we were a cat household it was never an option to us. Now circumstances have changed and we no longer have our cat - these guys are a welcome addition to our home. Very cute and cant wait for their personalities to show - no matter what that happens to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back