New Piggy Mummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've recently got 2 females piggies Winnie and Matilda. I got them at 8wks and had them about 6wks now. I've had a piggy before when I was younger and let me say I new nothing compared the the research I've done now! I'm going to admit I am learning as I go and think I have made some mistakes already, I handled them from their first day, have cut their nails already and am always talking to them as I do stuff in the kitchen, they lay on me looking around, they like to bury in my neck and they barely flinched as I did their nails, Matilda will watch as I put the veggies in in the morning not even bothering to hide and I can go to the cage now without them running inside, they seem so good!? Am I just lucky or are they scared?

Hi and welcome!

You may find this thread here helpful in working out how they stand with you and how to make friends with a spot of guinea pig whispering, but it sounds like they are settling in.
Baby nails only need cutting once they start growing out, but it is useful to touch and manipulate the toes from early on. you can do the same with syringe training with water and a bit of cucumber juice or a drop of ribena in the water; that will make medicating and syringe feeding in an emergency a lot easier.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Thank you I read this thread the first day I got my girls and found it very helpful,they have never bitten or done the dead reflex, I was particularly interested in the predator behaviour with them being in my kitchen where I am moving a lot and didn't want to seem to be lurking, I made myself known and spoke as much as I could to familiarize myself, they now laze in their hey watching me very comfy, if anyone else comes in then they are on guard.

How cute! My daughter has called our piggy Matilda even tho he's male lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back