New Piggies

Krystina

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to say thank you for all the advice on housing. We extended the Ferplast 140 with a 40cm extention and picked up our new family members today from Lancashire Guinea pig rescue!

We picked two girlies named Dancer and Oreo this afternoon and they are now settling in after some veggies on our laps. They are a but skittish but happy to eat from our hands. There's definitely nothing wrong with their sense of smell as they started wheeking when I got the coriander out of the fridge 🤣

Oreo is the black and white piggie in the picture. Dancer was hiding in the pink hide, she seems to be the dominant one and has chased Oreo a few times. Hopefully it's just settling in behaviour 🤞

Any advice or suggestions for their home or just general best practice is more than welcome 🙏

Attachments

• 20240316_185410.webp
    20240316_185410.webp
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240316_185553.webp
    20240316_185553.webp
    79 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, there was heaped hay in both the end bits but they've flattened it down already 🙈 I'll put more in tomorrow 👍

I see the hay, I also see a little beauty ❤️. My only comment is that personally I would cover the joint with a small fleece or mat. I do have boys though and worry about them catching the gentlepig underbits that hang......😁

Thanks, I'll see what I can get to cover the joins 👍

What lucky girls and what a lovely set up ❤️❤️
Funny how piggies like to flatten the hay - my two boys love to sleep in it and jump on it so it soon gets flattened.
Do your hideys have two exits ? Otherwise one could get trapped inside by the other

Gorgeous piggies.
The joins on the cage are rather smooth and aren’t really an issue.
I have that cage and have bits - I’ve never covered the joins although hay does get carried across it

What lucky girls and what a lovely set up ❤️❤️
Funny how piggies like to flatten the hay - my two boys love to sleep in it and jump on it so it soon gets flattened.
Do your hideys have two exits ? Otherwise one could get trapped inside by the other

No, they've both only got one 🙈 Ill need to see if i can one with 2, do you have any recommendations? I reckon I can cut a hole in the wooden one but I'll struggle with the plastic...

Gorgeous piggies.
The joins on the cage are rather smooth and aren’t really an issue.
I have that cage and have bits - I’ve never covered the joins although hay does get carried across it
Oh brilliant thank you, that's good to know 😊

We do recommend all hides have two exits. The dominant piggy can trap the submissive in a single exit hide and that is where problems can occur.

Your piggies will be in two weeks of restablishing their relationship so it’s quite important at this point that there isn’t risk of any issue.
They may be fine with the plastic pigloo in the future but they aren’t something I ever use - I do have boars though

Lovely set up. I have that cage and I do cover the join. There are a couple of raised bits on it.

I use step stools as hides as they are easy to clean and they can’t trap each other in them.

I’m also looking into extending it with another extension but it’s quite pricey.

IMG_4230.webp

Lovely set up. I have that cage and I do cover the join. There are a couple of raised bits on it.

I use step stools as hides as they are easy to clean and they can’t trap each other in them.

I’m also looking into extending it with another extension but it’s quite pricey.

View attachment 243906
Fab thank you. Our pets at home didn't have the bendy bridges in which is why I got the igloo 🙈 I'll have a look online.

I didn't buy the extension new as it was over £60 which seemed a lot, I picked up a second hand 140 from the rescue (for £15!) and just used the extension off of that. I've now also got a spare cage should I ever need it 👍

Wow bargain. Yeah. I’ve been looking for 2nd hand extensions but haven’t found one yet. Maybe I’ll ask for the extension for my birthday. 😆

I recommend hammocks, those cages (I think) are too high for the sort I use but others use the ones that have their own stands. Once you have it I think you can buy just the hammock part as spares?IMG20231219160426.webp

I have Ferplast cages for my two pairs, they are great. Lucky you getting an extension for £15. I too am always on the look out for a secondhand cage for an extra extension

Your little ladies are gorgeous and sound like they are settling in well if they are already calling at the fridge 😄

No, they've both only got one 🙈 Ill need to see if i can one with 2, do you have any recommendations? I reckon I can cut a hole in the wooden one but I'll struggle with the plastic...
You could turn it upside down and fill it with hay and then no piggies are trapped
Cardboard boxes are easy to use and discard as needed
They are very lucky piggies ❤️❤️

They are beauties. I also spy a paper bag in the background. If you cut the handles off and fill it with hay they will be super happy. I love a ruby eyed piggy.

This is my rainbow piggy Percy.
IMG_1864.webp

Also if you stuff a toilet roll cardboard tube with hay/ forage they might enjoy that - my two do and it’s sometimes tug of war 😂

I have Ferplast cages for my two pairs, they are great. Lucky you getting an extension for £15. I too am always on the look out for a secondhand cage for an extra extension

Your little ladies are gorgeous and sound like they are settling in well if they are already calling at the fridge 😄
@Bill & Ted Ferplast has sent me a 15% discount code. I’ve ordered an extension for the boys. It’s still quite pricey at £62.90. But if you’re interested it’s EASTER24.

Back