New piggies won't eat kibble.

Flukke

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
New owners of two females. Aged about 3 months. The piggies eat lettuce, hay and carrots. They have shown no interest in kibble. Any suggestions getting them to eat the kibble?

Hello and welcome. Did you give them the pellets that they were used to, or a new brand? If the latter it may be that. If you’re to change to a different brand, it is always best to switch over gradually.

Having said that, pellets are the least important part of their diet - they only make up about 5% (a tablespoon a day). Its good of they are eating lettuce. Try them on some coriander/cilantro and bell pepper as well. If they hadn’t been eating veg before then it needs introducing slowly to avoid an upset tummy.

The last thing is that carrots (and fruits) are high in sugar and so shouldn’t be fed often - once a week and a small slice. Have a read of the guide below for more information on food.

What are your girls’ names? I have a boar/sow pair named Zac and Chanel, and a boar (Toffee) who lost his friend early this year.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

:wel:

I agree with above.
Pellets are not a major part of the diet, they should only have just one tablespoon per pig per day.

I would focus on getting a good variety in their veg though. This will produce a good balance of nutrition if they don’t like pellets. Carrots should not really be given (only as a very occasional treat - mine get a tiny piece of carrot about once a year!) so the only veg your piggies are getting routinely is lettuce which doesn’t contain a huge amount of nutrients or vit c. Do read the diet guide linked in above and look to introduce other veggies into the diet and cut the carrot out.
Always ensure you feed hay in large unlimited amounts.

Hello,
New owners of two females. Aged about 3 months. The piggies eat lettuce, hay and carrots. They have shown no interest in kibble. Any suggestions getting them to eat the kibble?
Hello,
i have 16 guinea pigs, and the only time they eat dry food is when they are starving, or used to it. just give them little bits at a time

Back