New Piggies Not Eating Or Moving Around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slushiepigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We purchased 2 new guinea pigs 2 days ago. They are about 3 months old. They are not eating or drinking or moving much. When we hold them, they are lethargic and just lie there rarely burrowing or trying to move away. They do not come out of their house at all. I put pellet mix and fresh veggies in their cage but I don't think they have eaten anything. Is this normal for new piggy behavior? I am concerned because they are not eating/drinking.

New guinea pigs are very quiet at first, it's perfectly normal for them to hideaway when you are around (they may be eating but not when you are there) and to be nervous when handled (when nervous most guinea pigs will freeze). They'll settle in eventually. If they are okay leave them a couple more days and hopefully you'll notice a difference in behaviour. However, if you suspect their breathing is laboured and they are not eating, you may need to visit a vet. If these are your first pigs it is very difficult to know what is normal and what you should be worried about.

Hi! Guinea pigs are prey animals and are not born as cuddly pets. They will need time and patience to bring round, especially when they are from a place where they haven't had much in the way of friendly human interaction. Right now, you are very big, boisterous predators for them!

Please place hay (should make up to 80% of the daily food intake), veg, pellets and water close to their hut and also put a fleece or beach towel over the cage to give them an added feeling of safety and protection. They will hopefully forage when nobody is around. It is likely that they have never seen veg before in their life, so be careful when introducing them slowly in order to not give them diarrhoea.
Here are more tips: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
How to best pick up piggies (tutorial video): http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/videos/

Thanks for the advice. I had 8 GPs (at the same time!) when I was younger but haven't had them in many years. Finally decided to get some for our 9 y.o. son. They have hay, fleece blankies, etc. Today I placed a pile of cut carrots and celery outside their cardboard house. When I returned from errands, they were all gone! Later, one of them ate dandelion leaves from my hand. They are peeing and pooing and seem to have more energy. One even tried to run away from me on the floor; the other just sat there and looked at him. Again, thanks - I think we are on the upswing now! :)

We purchased 2 new guinea pigs 2 days ago. They are about 3 months old. They are not eating or drinking or moving much. When we hold them, they are lethargic and just lie there rarely burrowing or trying to move away. They do not come out of their house at all. I put pellet mix and fresh veggies in their cage but I don't think they have eaten anything. Is this normal for new piggy behavior? I am concerned because they are not eating/drinking.

I don't even have my new pig yet and I have never owned them before but they may just be stressed or scared. Try and leave them alone for a few days (obvioulsly do food/water/veggies etc) then maybe they will begin to settle in better. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back