New piggies frozen in corner

ClumsySteph

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I am a new owner of 2 piggies. I bought these 2 piggies yesterday around 10pm and put them in their cage with pebbels , hay and water. I noticed they were first exploring and after a hour just hiding in a corner. After a couple more hours I noticed their water has not changed at all and neither their food. I am now getting worried since theyre still frozen in their corner. Now at 7am, it is still the same, I tried adding a water bowl instead of a water bottle but still nothing and noticed they are losing energy. (They were running away from me at first when I even came close, now they just let my hand get close and dont move) I am getting really worried and not sure what to do. (I will be visiting the pet store later for more advice but due the heat these days, I came here for more immediate advice)

It’s normal for new piggies to be scared and hide. They are prey animals and most piggies take a long time to settle in. Generally you find that they won’t come out while anybody is there but instead they gradually start to come out overnight.

Do you have two hides in the cage for them? Stuff their hides with hay so they can eat without having to come out.
You can also ensure hay is available in multiple places (or indeed everywhere in the cage) around the cage so they don’t have to eat it if they don’t want to.

The guides below will help further with what to expect from prey animal behaviour and how to settle them in

Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

I’m guessing when you say pebbles you mean guinea pig pellets? Make sure you only give one tablespoon per pig per day
Make sure you also provide them with vegetables. Introduce veg slowly if you don’t know what they are used to eating

The guide below explains feeding

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

What sort of heat/temperature are you dealing with? You need to make sure the room stays cool enough. If you don’t have air conditioning then there are tips in this guide

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

They are located in my room so they will always have me around (unless at work.) I indeed mean pellets, my main language is not English, sorry. I will definitely buy a second hiding spot when going to the pet store then! At the moment I have the second hand stuff of my cousin that also owns guinea pigs so I did not have much to work with due stores being closed yesterday. At the moment I have a small carrot and cucumber in the cage provided and per advice of my mother, a cut up apple (I can take it out if apples are not adviced). She also said that if they are not drinking I should lightly dib their mouth in the water bowl but I am not sure if that is a good idea? She is more old school with ideas.

The tempature is around 17°C at the monent but I have a fan running in my room at all times during warmer tempatures.

This is the first time I am owning critters by myself without the help of my mother so sorry if some questions are very obvious answers to. I just want the best for them :)

They are located in my room so they will always have me around (unless at work.) I indeed mean pellets, my main language is not English, sorry. I will definitely buy a second hiding spot when going to the pet store then! At the moment I have the second hand stuff of my cousin that also owns guinea pigs so I did not have much to work with due stores being closed yesterday. At the moment I have a small carrot and cucumber in the cage provided and per advice of my mother, a cut up apple (I can take it out if apples are not adviced). She also said that if they are not drinking I should lightly dib their mouth in the water bowl but I am not sure if that is a good idea? She is more old school with ideas.

The tempature is around 17°C at the monent but I have a fan running in my room at all times during warmer tempatures.

This is the first time I am owning critters by myself without the help of my mother so sorry if some questions are very obvious answers too I just want the best for them :)

Your English is very good!
Your questions are absolutely fine, we are here to help you. The green links I added in my previous post also provide further information on each topic. We are happy to answer your questions though.

Mostly new piggies just need to be left alone and left to settle in. We recommend to leave them alone (only feeding, watering and spot cleaning) in the first week without trying to touch them. Chat to them as your room so they get used to you being there and your voice. Then from the second week, sit by their cage and talk to them, see if they will take food from your hand (that can often take a lot longer though - taking food from you is a sign of trust but it can vary how soon they do it. For some it’ll be a week or so, for others it can take months).
You will need to start to do their routine weekly weight checks from the second week onwards so some handling is going to be needed for that. They probably won’t like it but it’s something that needs to be done!

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Definitely get another hide, there should be two of everything in the cage.

Apple and carrot should not be in the diet routinely. They are ok to be given in a very tiny amount once a week as a treat, but never both at the same time and never a lot. They are too high in sugar.
The four veggies they can have safely daily are lettuce, cucumber, coriander/cilantro and bell pepper. These four veggies provide a good mix of nutrients without being high in calcium (too much calcium can cause bladder problems). If they aren’t used to veggies, then introduce new ones slowly and one at a time in small amounts. Build up quantity and variety gradually, doing too much too soon can cause digestive upsets.

Keep their pellets to one tablespoon per pig per day only. Don’t let them have constant access to them as pellets arent particularly good for them. They bridge any gaps in nutrients so can serve their purpose, but they contain a lot of calcium. They are actually the one part of the diet they can do without.

As long as there are several bottles around the cage, at a height which they can reach, then they will drink.
It’s recommended drinking water is filtered particularly if you have hard water.
I would not put their mouth in the water.

Temperature wise, 17 degrees is ok. They are most comfortable between 18-22. Their tolerance for temperature range is similar to that of a human. If you are comfortable, too hot or too cold then it’s likely they are feeling the same way.

Just thought an update would be nice: the advice you gave helped a lot! They are still not drinking from the bottle but they are from the bowl which is fine to me. They are finally eating hay but only when I am asleep. They are becoming healthy and active again. Even though they have 2 hiding houses, I noticed they only use one but I will keep the second one, incase :) Thank u so much for the help here! <3

Just thought an update would be nice: the advice you gave helped a lot! They are still not drinking from the bottle but they are from the bowl which is fine to me. They are finally eating hay but only when I am asleep. They are becoming healthy and active again. Even though they have 2 hiding houses, I noticed they only use one but I will keep the second one, incase :) Thank u so much for the help here! <3

Thanks for the update.
While they are new and settling in, they may feel more secure together which could be why they aren’t using the second house yet. As they settle you may find they separate and prefer to have their own space at times.

Try not to stress it - they will come around. It took some of my piggies months to really adjust to me & allow me to even pick them up!

I always cover half the cage with a blanket so it's a bit more comfy for them, & honestly, just let them be for a bit. You can talk to them outside the cage & whatnot, eventually they will eat, drink, etc. It's a new environment so they're probably nervous. They are prey animals.

Back