New piggies - confused about a few things!

Rosie&Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everybody :)
I've just joined the site after getting my 12 week old piggies Rosie and Willow on Monday. I've had house rabbits in the past and my kids (aged 9 and 5) have been wanting a pet so I thought I would get some guineas. They are super cute but very, very scared. They are in my kitchen which must be scary for them because my washing machine etc is in there but this is the only place we can put them so it will have to work! They don't come out their house much at the moment but when its quiet Willow (black and white) will come out and have some food and then Rosie will follow. They will stay out eating whilst i sit talking to them at night. I'm hoping this is a positive that they're starting to eat whilst i'm talking to them and starting to warm to me. I'm just wondering how long it usually takes before they settle and become more trusting/friendly?

Also the cage set up is confusing me. I'm not sure what your opinion on my set up is? I bought puppy pads and fleece but it just ended up covered in hay and its so hard to remove from the fleece. Yesterday i got them a dog crate liner with puppy pads underneath and this morning when i picked up the pink liner only one part of the puppy pad is soaked so I'm assuming they're using one particular place to wee and poop. But, I don't want to terrify them cleaning the cage everyday because yesterday they were so scared when i changed it. I'm so confused about the cleaning and how to do it i dont want my house to smell. I cant pick them up at the moment and put them in a playpen while i clean, they just run off and because of where the doors on the cage are its so difficult to get hold of them so they just squeal. I wish i had bought an open top enclosure but cant afford a new one, Ive spent a small fortune already.

Also they had conjunctivitis in the pet shop and I'm supposed to clean willow's eye with cotton wool and water if it gets a little crusty but i cant even pick her up

aarrgghhhh

sorry about the long post - i cant wait to just get into the hang of caring for my piggies. Any advice would be really appreciated - feel like ive got little babies again!

Attachments

• Piggies1.webp
    Piggies1.webp
    118.6 KB · Views: 24
  • piggies2.webp
    piggies2.webp
    60.6 KB · Views: 21
  • piggies3.webp
    piggies3.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 18
  • piggies4.webp
    piggies4.webp
    54.7 KB · Views: 21
just to add the hay is in the far corner - if anyone wonders.
They have a bottle of water and also a bowl because they dont seem to be drinking but will eat and eat when I'm not there :roll:

Welcome to the Forum.
it's lovely to have you here and all of your questions are perfectly normal.

A good place ot start is the New Owner guides here:
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

It sounds like they are doing well, but some good tips on helping them settle are in the new owners guide.
It is also worth covering at least half of their cage with an old sheet or towel to help them feel less exposed/vulnerable.
They will choose a main area to use as their toilet most of the time, and this tends to be where the hay is. They should spend a lot of time just sitting and munching hay, so if you convert one end of the cage to a 'kitchen area' just put a huge pile of hay on top of a puppy pad and they will spend a lot of time there.
This should help contain the mess.
Once you work out their main toilet areas, you can also add smaller pee pads there, and change those daily, which will make the main liner last longer between washes.

Hay will get everywhere - this is a fact of life with piggies, and as it is so important in their diet this is actually a good thing.
They should have a pile at least as big as their body placed fish in the cage every single day.

To remove hay from fleece, take it outside and give it a good shake and then brush it down with a rubber dog brush (Zoom groom) or plastic horse curry comb.
It can save you washing machine if you wash fleece items in a Horsewear wash bag.

They need at least 2 hides in the cage, as for now they may be content to share, but this could end up causing them to fall out as they settle in. Guinea pigs don't often cuddle together unless they are very nercvous, so in the long run more hides are better. I would consider adding 2 bendy bridges with fleece strips over them so they feel safe but can easily run in and out.

Try looking at some cage set ups in this thread here for ideas.
Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

As for picking them up, try this technique:
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

:wel:

They’re gorgeous!

When they will settle in is very piggy dependent - one of mine was settled after six weeks but the other would not take food from me and would still run off at a year and a half. Suddenly, he realised I wasn’t scary and it was like a switch flipped and he suddenly became fine. All you can do is patient and take it at their pace.

You aren’t likely to ever be able to pick them up directly - being picked up cuts too close to prey instincts and it’s not something they will like. Best to always herd them into a carrier and pick them up from there. This is also a good method for the essential weekly weight checks - herd piggy into a box and then pop the box on the scales (obviously deducting the weight of the box)

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Yes, removing hay from fleece is not easy. Using a rubber brush might help. They need lots of hay though so having an area filled with hay and accepting hay can be a nightmare and gets everywhere is part of it!

Fleece needs to be changed every 3-5 days but it depends on the piggies and how messy they are. Poop picking needs to be done daily.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

I would also recommend that you get rid of the pink pigloo hide and buy two new hides both with two open ends. Single exit hides aren’t recommended as a piggy can get trapped by the other inside pigloos and it’s a common place for defensive injuries to occur. It’s also important to make sure also need two proper hides (with two exits) in the cage at all times. Piggies don’t always want to be sharing a hide (particularly once they settle in and aren’t so scared of everything) and the dominant has the pick of everything so once they settle in, if the dominant claims the only hide as their own, then the submissive has nowhere to go.

You've totally got babies again 😂
Don't worry about the hay going everywhere... they like it like that and will rearrange the cage as they prefer. More hay is always better - it keeps them busy and keeps the teeth down - and yes there will be natural 'wastage' of wet and poopy hay but that's normal. You could try a disposable 'toy' of softer, non-stalky hay in a brown paper bag... that's very popular here (although Gorge prefers to go in after everyone else because he seems to like the smell of the ladies!)

I would try draping a blanket over one end - maybe where the hidey is - until they feel more comfortable. They will get used to you, don't worry.

I have had pigs in the kitchen for years and started out with a similar set up to you but it's been hacked all over with every change in piggies as each has their own needs. We have no other pets and teenage kids so mine get out and about... although they never go very far from the cages. But I keep the top wires on my cages as (1) they like the security of being covered, (2) I worry about things getting dropped on them and (3) I store stuff up there!
half way in.webp Its George's grass.webp3s not a crowd.webp

thank you so much I'm going get another hide and i think i will use the left part of the cage just for hay. They don't seem to be eating much hay at all at the moment. I'm using timothy hay and meadow hay combined? would just timothy hay be better?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hair-Remov...2BPVXLC/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B072BPVXLC&psc=1
Super useful... but don't leave the brush lying around as at least one will enjoy nibbling the rubber bristles!

Don't worry so much about the poops - it's the wet patches that can cause issues. If there is a wet patch getting wetter and wetter over a few days that they stand/lie in they can get sore, pink feet from 'urine scald'. Poops are unsightly but no trouble and are indeed a good indicator of health. It won't take long for you to be able to recognise whose poops are whose and to be reassured by their constant appearance!

Personally I hand-feed the veg: in part to make sure my three each get a share and don't steal from each other but also because I enjoy the interaction and they love their veggies so I'm happy if a little of that affection rubs off on me!

Hay combination is just fine... not all pigs prefer timothy and on it's own it is often too stalky for an enclosed area ('hay poke'... it's an eye thing!)

thank you so much I'm going get another hide and i think i will use the left part of the cage just for hay. They don't seem to be eating much hay at all at the moment. I'm using timothy hay and meadow hay combined? would just timothy hay be better?

A combination is absolutely fine. Mine live in my shed and have meadow hay for bedding and a couple of piles of Timothy hay.

However, if they are not leaving their hides much at this point, it’s better to our hay in the hides and just outside them then so they don’t have to come out to eat if they don’t want to. The issue here is that with only one enclosed hide at present, that’s not necessarily easy for the one at the back to get out. Make sure the new hides have two exits

The only way to know they are eating enough hay is with the routine weekly weight checks - you cannot judge hay intake by eye. Tricky at the moment though as they need to settle before you start the weight checks next week

Gorgeous piggies! Welcome to the forum! I know you'll find it helpful and fun! We have an alpmazing community here.

How your piggies are acting is very normal. You're probably looking at weeks to months until they are comfortable and bonded. They are prey animals, after all. I couldn't tell from the pics, how big is the cage? The kitchen is a good spot because of the foot traffic; they will get used to you quicker. Hand feeding is key. I can't stress it enough. Also, just sitting by the cage and talking to them. Singing to them. They take a while, but they warm up. In my experience, they will always protest when being picked up and they will always be more of a watch pet than a hold-pet. But it will get better. Patience is key.

And yes, you definitely have babies again, LOL

It sucks that you are already dealing with health issues, but not unusual for pet store pets. Try picking up a hide when they are inside. (It would have to have a bottom, though) Have you taken them to the vet yet? Perhaps you can get her on antibiotics or something.

Yes absolutely - please have them seen by a vet as they may need medicated eye drops. Wiping with water may not be anywhere near enough to deal with it

Yes absolutely - please have them seen by a vet as they may need medicated eye drops. Wiping with water may not be anywhere near enough to deal with it
I’ve just checked willows eye when she was eating it actually looks ok but I’ve been in store and I’m taking them down Saturday if i have any concerns. Love my piggies so much already 😃

I’ve just checked willows eye when she was eating it actually looks ok but I’ve been in store and I’m taking them down Saturday if i have any concerns. Love my piggies so much already 😃

What symptoms is she displaying? Was it the shop who told you it was conjunctivitis or was it one of their vets?
Eyes are very delicate things, and are considered emergencies should they get any kind of infection or haypoke, and getting proper treatment within 24 hours of the start of an issue can make all the difference.

Gorgeous piggies! Welcome to the forum! I know you'll find it helpful and fun! We have an alpmazing community here.

How your piggies are acting is very normal. You're probably looking at weeks to months until they are comfortable and bonded. They are prey animals, after all. I couldn't tell from the pics, how big is the cage? The kitchen is a good spot because of the foot traffic; they will get used to you quicker. Hand feeding is key. I can't stress it enough. Also, just sitting by the cage and talking to them. Singing to them. They take a while, but they warm up. In my experience, they will always protest when being picked up and they will always be more of a watch pet than a hold-pet. But it will get better. Patience is key.

And yes, you definitely have babies again, LOL
Thank you for the tips … when the kids are in bed I sit next to them talking and constantly talk when I’m in the kitchen even when they’re hiding. The cage is 140 x 60 I think it’s the biggest I could fit in my kitchen but hope to have them running around when they’re tame. My previous house rabbits had full roam of the kitchen. Obviously I’ll keep their cage and I’ll also have them in the garden in a pen one day when I’m sat out with them 😃

What symptoms is she displaying? Was it the shop who told you it was conjunctivitis or was it one of their vets?
Eyes are very delicate things, and are considered emergencies should they get any kind of infection or haypoke, and getting proper treatment within 24 hours of the start of an issue can make all the difference.
I thought it looked crusty on a pic but when I’ve managed to look closely at her it’s actually ginger yellow fur

I thought it looked crusty on a pic but when I’ve managed to look closely at her it’s actually ginger yellow fur
They were up for sale then stayed in the vets for a week having daily treatment with antibiotics the lady said. She checked with the vet before we left who said they were both fine but we get free treatment for 6 weeks if needed

Hello and welcome. Your girls are gorgeous! One thing I want to warn you about (so you’re not disappointed) is that guinea pigs don’t really become ‘tame’ in the true sense of the word. Though it could depend on what you mean.

In general, most don’t like being picked up by hand. And they may never enjoy being stroked or handled - cuddled etc. if you keep this in mind then you won’t be disappointed when they behave in the opposite manner. They’re (more often than not) not the cuddly pets they are made out to be.

Once they are more confident, I would consider scatter feeding their veg and the (2 tablespoons of) pellets in their hay. It’s a good enrichment for them.

As above, do cover part of the cage so they feel safer. With piggies, it’s a case of patience. Hard when they look so cute but if you go at their pace and let them lead then it’s all the better.

Back