New Piggies: Balance Between Contact And Leaving Alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigaroo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,

My piggies are about 6 week old rescues and new to me in the last two days. I'm also completely new to guinea pigs. I am worried about walking the balance between socializing them to me and leaving them alone so they can get comfortable in their new environment. I sit near them and talk sometimes, especially when I bring their veggies, and when I've been wrapping Christmas gifts. I've had to handle them a bit because I goofed with the fleece bedding and hadn't properly prepped it so had to remedy that situation earlier today.

I did read the Guinea Pig Body Language and Settling a Shy Pig posts, but I'm just feeling a bit nervous still (and so eager for the day down the road that they see me as a buddy). Do you all have any additional tips or words of encouragement?

Thank you so much,
Marie :)

Hello all,

My piggies are about 6 week old rescues and new to me in the last two days. I'm also completely new to guinea pigs. I am worried about walking the balance between socializing them to me and leaving them alone so they can get comfortable in their new environment. I sit near them and talk sometimes, especially when I bring their veggies, and when I've been wrapping Christmas gifts. I've had to handle them a bit because I goofed with the fleece bedding and hadn't properly prepped it so had to remedy that situation earlier today.

I did read the Guinea Pig Body Language and Settling a Shy Pig posts, but I'm just feeling a bit nervous still (and so eager for the day down the road that they see me as a buddy). Do you all have any additional tips or words of encouragement?

Thank you so much,
Marie :)
It sounds to me like you're doing everything right.Theyll get used to the sound of your voice and giving them veggies is a good way of making friends xx

Nothing brings out a shy piggie like a tasty treat! I have one rescue who is very shy and she will come forward for a piece of fruit, she is happiest if I stroke her with another guinea pig beside her rather than being out alone. Mine have associated being cuddled with having a treat, so they stand at the front of the cage and look at me when I put them back, waiting for something nice...cuddles aren't free in my house apparently!

Sounds like you are doing everything right so far! I would recommend trying hand feeding in the cage for sure, way to pigs heart is always the belly :)

Welcome to the forum by the way:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back