New piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggies4Eva

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My sister has a piggie cxalled Lola and I used to but she had to get put to sleep, now Lola isnt herself so we are planning on getting a new piggie. We saw 4 which are suitable for her, the only problem is that the piggie i like Looks like its blind in 1 eye(from the way the pic was took) so it might or might not be blind. That kinds put my parents off if she is blind. I just want 2 no if gettin a blind piggie in 1 eye would be fine or awkward?

Blind piggies cope perfectly fine in familiar surroundings:) Esspecially if it's only in one eye, the piggy shouldn't have any troubles really :)

Hi and welcome!

Which country are you in and how are you sourcing your piggies? The safest way to find a new companion is by dating/staging meet and greet at a good rescue, so the piggies can decide whether they click or not under expert supervision. You only come back with a piggy that works out with Lola. However, not every country has as many good rescues as Britain, but as character compatibility is key to any successful piggy bond, a meeting before you adopt would be great.
Here is our rescue locator if you are in Britain: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/locator/
(PS: It really would make it easier to give you advice if you would please let us know which country you are in; things are quite different for our members from all around the world!)

Generally, blindness is not a big obstacle, as sight isn't their strongest sense. If they are blind only in one eye, it will make them more wary, especially during introduction. They will also usually not like it if they are approached/handled from their blind side. I have a group of sows with cataracts, who live a normal life. However, many people are sadly put off by the sight.

As you are obviously a minor, you will have to sort out your choice with your parents and also take Lola's preferences on board.

We have got tips on how to best stage introductions in this thread here: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...FAQ-Introducing-and-reintroducing-guinea-pigs

We have a completely blind piggie and she copes extremely well. We keep items in the same place in the cage so she is used to where everything is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back