New Piggie Parent - Winter Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally1j

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to the forum and new to piggies. Back at the start of the summer we adopted 3 lovely little girls and initially housed them in a ferplast rabbit 150 which I had used previously for my house rabbits. It soon became apparent that they would need much more space so my lovely husband built a 4x2 C&C cage which attaches to the ferplast cage in an L shape in our shed. The girls love it! My concern is keeping them warm in winter. The C&C cage part is open at the top and mainly used as a play area so I was wondering about covering the ferplast cage area in insulating blankets etc? They could move freely between the 2 areas. What is the warmest bedding? I am currently using carefresh and hay.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

hello,

i have indoor piggies in C&C cages and i have folded fleece pegged tot he outside to stop any draughts. x

I am not sure, I have a thermometer in there now but when I previously had rabbits in there but they were in a custom made 8 ft, 3 story hutch made out of very thick marine ply and had snuggle safe pads. They came into the house in their old age but I cannot do that in this house. I still have the snuggle safe pads and can easily rig up a shed heater. It is log lap so has thick walls. Am I correct in thinking piggies cannot tolerate cold as much as rabbits?

Oooh I just found mountains of old carpet! I wonder if that may help laid out over the top? I shall try and get some pics of the setup soon... so smitten with these little girls I put some fleecy beds in last night as the temp seems to have dropped over recent nights. If I am worried now what am I going to be like in mid winter :--)

There's plenty of time to plan xx

Photos of your set up would be great -it'll help us advise .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back