New piggie bonding - Bertie and Hutch

Bertie & Jelly

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Day 1. Today I picked up a foster companion Hutch for my 4 year old boar Bertie who lost his lifelong companion Jellybaby recently. Hutch, also 4, was in a similar situation. At the moment I’ve got them side by side so Hutch can settle into his new environment. It’s only been a couple of hours since we got him home and he’s mostly been in his hidey so I’m just keeping it all calm and stress free for him. Bertie is pootling about which is lovely to see as he’s been very subdued but he’s not showing a lot of interest yet! I plan to keep them side by side for a couple of days before attempting bonding and will update with progress. I’m so hoping they get on - two middle aged gents together 💕 - but the next few days will tell. Fingers crossed 🤞

Day 1. Today I picked up a foster companion Hutch for my 4 year old boar Bertie who lost his lifelong companion Jellybaby recently. Hutch, also 4, was in a similar situation. At the moment I’ve got them side by side so Hutch can settle into his new environment. It’s only been a couple of hours since we got him home and he’s mostly been in his hidey so I’m just keeping it all calm and stress free for him. Bertie is pootling about which is lovely to see as he’s been very subdued but he’s not showing a lot of interest yet! I plan to keep them side by side for a couple of days before attempting bonding and will update with progress. I’m so hoping they get on - two middle aged gents together 💕 - but the next few days will tell. Fingers crossed 🤞
Wishing you the best of luck! :luv:

Aw, hope it’s a match for these two boys. older boars are lovely. Give yourself time to read up on the bonding guide and prepare a neutral spot. Start on a day when you have no commitments ideally too Good luck 🤞

Aw, hope it’s a match for these two boys. older boars are lovely. Give yourself time to read up on the bonding guide and prepare a neutral spot. Start on a day when you have no commitments ideally too Good luck 🤞
Thank you. I’ve read the guides over and over! Very clearly written and helpful.

One hour in. There’s been a bit of bum sniffing, one nip and a bit of chinning interspersed with much lying down and eating. Still lots of chattering. I think Hutch, the new boar, may be more dominant than Bertie but I’m wondering whether at their age (both 4) establishing dominance is just less obvious. Still a few hours to go in the bonding pen but am hoping they‘re accepting each other. Picture of their first nap with no chattering!

Attachments

• 05C4F2EA-0A36-4E8C-852D-2E5EF096D340.webp
    05C4F2EA-0A36-4E8C-852D-2E5EF096D340.webp
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
Thank you. I’ve read the guides over and over! Very clearly written and helpful.
Thank you from the writer! It is always nice to get positive feedback for my efforts at providing easy to follow practical advice for this forum.

We do have a very helpful guide collection on a wide range of topics for guinea pig owners. Here is the link, which you may want to bookmark and have a browse through, then read/re-read at need. In a number of guides you will pick up on different things at different stages of experience. It is currently one of the most extensive in-depth information resources around.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Thank you from the writer! It is always nice to get positive feedback for my efforts at providing easy to follow practical advice for this forum.

We do have a very helpful guide collection on a wide range of topics for guinea pig owners. Here is the link, which you may want to bookmark and have a browse through, then read/re-read at need. In a number of guides you will pick up on different things at different stages of experience. It is currently one of the most extensive in-depth information resources around.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection
Thank you so much @Weibke. I used several of your guides - Bonding, A-Z of behaviours, Boars - I couldn’t have done this confidently without your help. I’ve now moved the boys from the bonding pen to their new home. A bit of activity as they established their space but they seem to be content. I know bonding continues so shall be watching them closely.

Attachments

• FEAE2754-411C-42DC-9329-3945F1AB8B69.webp
    FEAE2754-411C-42DC-9329-3945F1AB8B69.webp
    131.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank you so much @Weibke. I used several of your guides - Bonding, A-Z of behaviours, Boars - I couldn’t have done this confidently without your help. I’ve now moved the boys from the bonding pen to their new home. A bit of activity as they established their space but they seem to be content. I know bonding continues so shall be watching them closely.

Keep a casual eye on your boys but please take a deep breath and stop fretting. They seem to have made a very good match with very little fuss. What they are doing now and in coming days is establishing their new group in their own territory but it should stay very much on the mild side of things. :tu:

They are both mature adults when the testosterone output is fizzling out and company in older age becomes more important. Older boars are a lot easier to bond (unlike older sows where the hormone output never stops) and they are as stable as sow bonds. ;)
Boars are much more upfront during bonding compared to sows. You know pretty quickly whether they are going to make a match or not. Yours have passed with flying colours.

If you don't know which one is top, then it is because it really doesn't matter all that much to your boys. The more you see it enforced the more insecure and hormonal a boy is - namely teenagers and young adults. Insisting on having their new leadership respected with all the trimmings, including your order of handling is generally a sign of insecurity in their new role and in that situation it is very important in you helping to keep any upsets to a minimum. Otherwise it simply doesn't matter. Just let them get on with setting up house and have a congratulary drink and naughty treat for yourself! ;)

Keep a casual eye on your boys but please take a deep breath and stop fretting. They seem to have made a very good match with very little fuss. What they are doing now and in coming days is establishing their new group in their own territory but it should stay very much on the mild side of things. :tu:

They are both mature adults when the testosterone output is fizzling out and company in older age becomes more important. Older boars are a lot easier to bond (unlike older sows where the hormone output never stops) and they are as stable as sow bonds. ;)
Boars are much more upfront during bonding compared to sows. You know pretty quickly whether they are going to make a match or not. Yours have passed with flying colours.

If you don't know which one is top, then it is because it really doesn't matter all that much to your boys. The more you see it enforced the more insecure and hormonal a boy is - namely teenagers and young adults. Insisting on having their new leadership respected with all the trimmings, including your order of handling is generally a sign of insecurity in their new role and in that situation it is very important in you helping to keep any upsets to a minimum. Otherwise it simply doesn't matter. Just let them get on with setting up house and have a congratulary drink and naughty treat for yourself! ;)
I’ve already had several naughty treats 😂 looking forward to the congratulatory drink later 🍷

So glad the bonding went so well and the boys have clicked! They’re both gorgeous :wub::wub: Hope they have fun causing boarly mischief and munching together :)

Thank you. I think boarly mischief is so far limited to a little pootle around to find a different hay pile 😂
Aw sounds just like my two older boys! 🐷 Just with maybe a little rumble at the wives in between :)) I love older boars! Hope it carries on going so well :):love: Definitely more pics needed!

Back