New Piggie Advice And Looking For A Friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBear27

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've recently re-homed a 3 month-old little guy called Guinness (creative... I know!) and just wanted to check I'm doing everything right and ask some advice.

He's currently in an outdoor 2-tier hutch/cage with what I hope is plenty of space (each level is 2ft x 5ft). Whilst he's getting used to his new home, I've just kept him to one level as I thought that the entire of the hutch might be a bit overwhelming and seem a bit lonely for a single piggie. That leads on to something I'm unsure of...

I know that he really needs a friend long term but I'm unsure when to do this? Would it be best to give him a buddy ASAP so they can start bonding together, or should I give him some time on his own to become comfortable with his new home first? As he's not neutered, I'm planning to get another boy to go with him - is this the best option for the both of them?

Thanks in advance! :)x

Hello all!

I've recently re-homed a 3 month-old little guy called Guinness (creative... I know!) and just wanted to check I'm doing everything right and ask some advice.

He's currently in an outdoor 2-tier hutch/cage with what I hope is plenty of space (each level is 2ft x 5ft). Whilst he's getting used to his new home, I've just kept him to one level as I thought that the entire of the hutch might be a bit overwhelming and seem a bit lonely for a single piggie. That leads on to something I'm unsure of...

I know that he really needs a friend long term but I'm unsure when to do this? Would it be best to give him a buddy ASAP so they can start bonding together, or should I give him some time on his own to become comfortable with his new home first? As he's not neutered, I'm planning to get another boy to go with him - is this the best option for the both of them?

Thanks in advance! :)x

Hi and welcome!

Please try to find him an ideally adult friend that he clicks with asap before the big teenage hormones hit, as any bonding will be much more difficult for a number of months. The best place is one of our recommended good standard rescues; you have got two good ones in your area. Yate rescue is smaller and may not have a suitable companion, but you could always contact Windwhistle Warren near Cheltenham, too. They are very experienced and have a good reputation. Going rescue is the best way, as any bonding will happen at the rescue, and you will always have the rescue to fall back on and help you find a solution in case go haywire at some point.
You can find your local rescues that we can vouch for with the help of our rescue locator: Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

If at all possible, please bring the hutch inside under a roof for the winter rather than leaving it out in wind and weather, even with insulation. It is also going to be much easier for you to look after them and interact with your boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back