• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New pig with bold patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi
I just got a new 3 month old female rex pig and have just found a bald spot on her rump. It is about the size of a penny and was well hidden under her long hair. The skin is smooth in the middle and rough and flaky round the edge where there is still fur.

She is otherwise in good health and eating and drinking well. She is not scratching the area at the moment.

I have given her a shampoo in some Gorgous Guinea shampoo lice and easy and have been rubbing mankna and neem oil soak in to the area. This seems to be helping. There are less scabby bits and flakes and the bold patch looks calmer although cant see any hair growing back yet but it has only been 3 days.

Dont want to use ivomec unless i have to so will keep going with the soak for a bit and see if there is an improvement. Anyone suggest anything else i can do? I have also emailed Gorgeous Guineas for some advice.

You have done the right thing, wait for Chrissy to advise. There is also a `table` on her website on how to tell the difference between fungal and mites, very useful :)

you are doing all the right things like lavenderjade says wait for chrissy to get back to you O0

Thanks for he reassurance. I did look at the table but still couldn't decide if it was fungal or parasitic :( or both!

she is a lovely little thing I have called her teddy and will try to put some pictures on soon.

Don't really know if she is a teddy or a rex? Can you tell the difference by their coats or are they very similar? Thought the name suited her.

She isn't a pedigree. She is tricolour black brown and white.

Here is my teddie
DSCF2144.jpg

I think the difference is that teddies have rex type hair but it can be more straight in places and they have straight whiskers, though Teddy`s are quite curly :D

My Teddy looks very similar to yours :D Same colours and everything! Will dig out camera tomorrow and post a picture

Sorry can't find the lead to connect camera to computer :-\ Will try from my Mobile tomorrow

sorry had no luck with pictures :-\ but will keep trying!

An update on little Teddy. I got some cream and shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas and i think this helped a bit but in the end it was mites and i had to use some ivermectin drops. The patch is much better now and the fur is slowly growing back. Will keep using creams and shampoo till it is completely cleared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back