• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New pig owner and one of my pigs is breathing a bit fast

josephgarrad16

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the Guinea pig scene and just a few days ago I got myself two lovely boys, they seem happy, they make the right noises and they eat and go to the toilet normally and all seems healthy, however one of the boys seems a bit shy and after I try to interact with him his breathing gets a bit fast, he doesn’t seem like he is struggling to breathe and he isn’t making any noises, but from what I’ve seen a lot of posts are saying that this could be signs of a bad thing, is it possible that he is doing it just because he is frightened and it’s all new to him or should I be more worried?

Thank you for your help

Welcome

Being scared is one possible reason particularly as they are very new and if you are not seeing him breathing fast at any other time and are not hearing any crackling noises coming from his chest. It is recommended to leave them to settle in for a week and not do anything other than feed and clean during that time. From the second week to start to interact with them by sitting by their cage, talking to them and starting to offer food from your hand.

However, it would not be possible to us to say scared is definitely the reason as we cannot see your piggy nor are we vets so erring on the side of caution and seeing a vet is the only safe thing we can really say. Depending on where you got them from, then a vet check for new piggies is always a good idea in any event.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Back