New Person. I Have Few Question.

Pluto&Astro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm getting two guinea pigs. Is 8ft enough space for them? I bought the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus and what kind of objects inside should I place.

I'm getting two guinea pigs. Is 8ft enough space for them? I bought the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus and what kind of objects inside should I place.

Hi and welcome

Please have a read through these two guide collections; you may find them very helpful as they will answer many of your questions.
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

8 ft square is adequate for two sows; it can be a little tight for two boars, especially when they hit the teenage months together. Always make sure that they have a hidey (preferably with two exits), a bowl and a water bottle each with access to an unlimited supply of hay which cannot be blocked by the dominant piggy since hay makes 80% or more of the daily food intake.

Aah okay! One more quick question. My friend's piggy- the one I'm having we don't know it's gender. I know we have to pick it up and look at its area, but it dosen't allow us to pick it up. Whats the best way to pick it up without causing harm.

Aah okay! One more quick question. My friend's piggy- the one I'm having we don't know it's gender. I know we have to pick it up and look at its area, but it dosen't allow us to pick it up. Whats the best way to pick it up without causing harm.

Just try to lure it with food and try to pick it up calmly. If it runs away or bites, try again in a little while. Just mae sure not to stress it out too much. Also, about the tings to put in the cage; I put plastic pigloos, hay rack, wooden chew toys, tunnels, food bowl, haging toys, fleece cozies, etc.

Mine have lots of hideys, a stick tunnel, pigloos, fleece snugglesacks, food bowls. You could try a fleece forest. Hang strips of fleece from the top of the cage for them to run and hide in.

Snugglesacks are also helpful for if you are trying to pick up a nervous pig! Easier to pick up a pig in a sack than a pig running around XD

If you gently push above his privates if it's a boy it's willie will pop a girls gentals is a perfect y.
If they are young it will be harder to tell. If your unsure ask the vet or the nurse. It won't cost a lot. Please don't put them together until you are certain of there gender.

Please make sure you are able to detect the gender of both pigs before putting them together! Otherwise you could end up with many more guinea pigs than you had planned on! Others have suggested temping the pig into a box or a tube in order to more easily pick it up, which is a good start. You will have to gently lift the pig up to get a good look at its genital area. You can take a picture and post her for additional confirmation. Sometimes it can be hard to tell. Generally, female genitals are more 'y' shaped and male genitals are more 'i' shaped, and a bit of pressure above a males privates can sometimes get the penis to extrude, which confirms a male. Definitely take some pics and ask here if you need confirmation!

Back