New Partner or try a trio

RoliePolieOlie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
My partner and I are new here.
Backstory: We have seven (five males and two females) Guinea pigs, the cages use to be five (3 males, two females)and two (males). Recently we noticed one of our males Beanith has been really aggressive with not only the other males in the cage but also the females. It got so bad that he has attacked and humped everyone and we had to pull him out when blood was drawn. We took him to the vet and they told us that he has a tilted pelvis and that he may be in pain due to it and as a result has become more aggressive.
Currently he is in a cage by himself and it's clear that he hates it. So we have his cage up against the two pig cage and now he constantly bites the bar. Him and the other four have been together for 2 years and there was never a problem, he was the sweetest one in the group. But now the group doesn't want them back.

Problem: We don't want to leave him a lone piggy and we don't want to give him away but we're stuck. We were debating on putting him in the two cage or getting him a new partner.
With the two cage we have a our longest bonded male pair/our first pigs, they've been bonded since they were two months old. They aren't in the group because they don't like big groups. On the other hand if we adopt another guinea pig should we adopt a disabled guinea pig? We were told bean is disabled and we heard if we got an able bodied guinea pig he may attempt to be more dominate and aggressive.

If I understand correctly, you are keeping multiple males in the same cage with females. This is commonly known to cause problems at some point or another. Its only one neutered boar to any number of females to have a stable herd.

We also don’t recommend boar trios. The vast majority fail. It’s one of the things we are most contacted about in the behaviour section.
If you try to add him to your bonded boar pair, then it risks breaking that bond also, so you could end up three single piggies all refusing to live together

A stable bond and new friend for him comes down to character compatibility and mutual liking, not age or disability. Often the companion of a disabled piggy becomes their carer, but it’s about finding the right friend for him.
if you have a rescue centre who can help you find that friend, then that is the best way.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

Given your previous cage set up, to be honest a falling out was inevitable really - multiple males rarely work in the longer term.
I am curious about the tilted pelvis though. I have never heard of this before (but I am far from an expert so it's probably just me).
How was it diagnosed and if the vet feels it might be painful is he now on painkillers?

I would leave your stable boar pair as they are. A well bonded male pair is great but can be quickly and easily upset by the addition of anotehr male, so at this point I wouldn't risk what sounds like a wonderful relationship.

I would look for a find for your lone boy. If he is neutered then you already have a lot of options as you could consider one or two sows (depending on the available cage space) or another male. As @Piggies&buns has already said, he certainly does not need to be paired with another disabled piggy - simply one that he likes will be fine.

You’ve been given great advice above. I wonder if you have considered pairing him with one of the boars in the 4-group - the one he gets on beat with. Then the other boar can live with the sows.

However, having said that, boars don’t tend to like going back to bachelor life once they’ve lived with a sow. So maybe you could pair the 4-group off and then find your lone boar a friend?

Back