New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpennyD

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi guys, after around a year of waiting and research I've finally bought some Guinea pigs. I have set up their new home in our living room and the piggies are settling in, shy at first but I know they'll adapt. I just wondered if this set up was ok, I've realised already i need a heavier bowl as the one I got will get easily knocked over. I'm worried with the fleece blanket going upwards in the corners is there anyway the piggies can climb these to escape?

image.webp

:wel:to the forum.

I have bought some Becco bowls

Beco Pets

You can buy them in some pet shops (including Pets at Home) as well as online.

I love them as they are light and don't get knocked over.

:wel:to the forum.

I have bought some Becco bowls

Beco Pets

You can buy them in some pet shops (including Pets at Home) as well as online.

I love them as they are light and don't get knocked over.

Thank you I'll check them out, do you think the corners of the cage where the fleece comes up poses a threat to the piggies climbing and escaping?

Thank you I'll check them out, do you think the corners of the cage where the fleece comes up poses a threat to the piggies climbing and escaping?

Most people with C&C cages don't have a problem with guinea pigs escaping from them .

There have been a few exceptions though .

Thank you just want them to be happy, they've been hiding all night still nervous bless them
Yeah mine run if I go to quickly into the living room. They seem a lot happier now they in a bigger cage now though. How did you build it?

I have cut my fleece blankets to size and sewn velcro to the corners so I can stick it in place easily when cleaning out but it also holds it down during the daily sweep up of poos! I ave a piggie who can climb onto the roof of the hidy but so far hasn't managed to get out, but she is only 3 months old so theres still time.....! I make sure anything she can climb is under the hay loft!

Wow mine don't seem to want to go up just down when on my lap. Sounds a good idea with the Velcro. Do you put anything under the fleece?

@Darkmoon I have puppy pads under one section and towels under another (experimenting with which I prefer!) So far I am edging towards the towel section because it takes 8 pads to cover both floors of the cage which is going to get expensive! I am washing the fleeces anyway and there is plenty of space for towels in the machine too so make sense to go with those once the puppy pads have run out! If I decide 100% to go with towels I plan to sew said towels to the back of the fleece so changing it all over will be even quicker!

@Darkmoon I have puppy pads under one section and towels under another (experimenting with which I prefer!) So far I am edging towards the towel section because it takes 8 pads to cover both floors of the cage which is going to get expensive! I am washing the fleeces anyway and there is plenty of space for towels in the machine too so make sense to go with those once the puppy pads have run out! If I decide 100% to go with towels I plan to sew said towels to the back of the fleece so changing it all over will be even quicker!
Sounds good. Iv got sawdust under my fleece at the min as I can just shack the fleece then top up bits of the sawdust that are wet. The towel does sound like a good idea though.

I did consider sawdust (I have it for the chickens anyway) but decided to go with the towels on the basis it was likely to mean less hoovering!

I did consider sawdust (I have it for the chickens anyway) but decided to go with the towels on the basis it was likely to mean less hoovering!

I started out using wood shavings, but I was literally having to hoover my whole flat every day. It was getting everywhere.... and I was having to pull bits out of his woowoo every day. It was ridiculous! I started using towels pretty soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back