New Owner , Only One Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallulahmay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for having me!
I finally after a lot of thought got a guinea pig, bought from a pet shop thinking it was a girl but , from research sure it is male , it is young and intended to get two females ,
Would have got two together but they didn't have another , and I fell in love with humbug , and plan to get another for company asap ,but now not sure what to get .
Basically I am scared of getting another boy and them not being compatible , he would need neutered to be with a female, what's the best way to do this. I might post a picture to confirm sex ,but I am pretty sure he's male .
Photo of Humbug attached , not a determine sex picture!

IMG_20150707_200017_hdr_kindlephoto-1385547.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
:wel: to the forum . What a gorgeous guinea pig. Are you happy to add some details of your location to your profile . We have members from all over the world and it is very useful to know if you are from the US, UK or elsewhere.

Hi and thanks for having me!
I finally after a lot of thought got a guinea pig, bought from a pet shop thinking it was a girl but , from research sure it is male , it is young and intended to get two females ,
Would have got two together but they didn't have another , and I fell in love with humbug , and plan to get another for company asap ,but now not sure what to get .
Basically I am scared of getting another boy and them not being compatible , he would need neutered to be with a female, what's the best way to do this. I might post a picture to confirm sex ,but I am pretty sure he's male .
Photo of Humbug attached , not a determine sex picture!

Hi and welcome!

I can understand why you have fallen for Humbug; he is stunning!

You are welcome to post a picture of his/her genitalia in our pregnancy&sexing section. Here is the best sexing link. Please also have a look inside the slit; a male slit is straight with the penis button set well above whereas a female sightly angular knob (especially when see from the side) is nestled in a groove and the her slit has side flaps when you carefully press it open. Some youngsters are not as clearly marked, nor a shop staff necessarily piggy savvy.
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Could you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county, as any further options largely depend on your location. We have got members from all over the world, so it makes adjusting any advice and recommendations to their particular circumstances and availabilities much easier. Just click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments , I have added my location , I am in the UK ,I looked at the site for gender , will try and take a picture to be sure , my boy is a boy! Need to be sure before I make plans for a companion .
Think I need to buy a brush for this one , he is all hair :D

Wow what a stunner! And welcome to the forum.

I hope all goes well when you look for a friend for him. The best way of finding a good match is through dating, as already recommended to you by others, so I apologise for repeating myself, but they have such varied personalities that it's hit and miss getting a good match unless you let them meet each other and choose each other before-hand :)

Humbug is such a looker!

Oh wow he's stunning. I would take him dating at a recommended rescue like others have said once you know the sex for certain, though the rescue would be able to confirm that too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. He is stunning, a rescue would be able to help with piggy dating in the search for a friend.

Lovely to have you on the forum with us. Look forward to seeing more of Humbug :love:

Welcome to our friendly forum, your piggy is a stunner. ;)

Welcome to the forum to both of you! He's simply GORGEOUS :wub:

Can fully understand why you fell for him, very handsome boy! Yes, a brush and comb are going to come in handy by the look of it. Hope you enjoy being on the forum, excellent advice is only a click/ tap away.:)

:DHello and :wel: to the forum! Humbug is an absolutely gorgeous big ball of fluff! :wub::wub: Love him!

Oh wow he is beautiful! Welcome, this is a great place if you're ever unsure of anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back