New owner hutch help please

SparklySam

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning on rehoming either a pair or bonded grp of 3 Guinea pigs. I kept them as a child but haven't for a long time. I've got a 6ft Chartwell hutch and all the covers being delivered next week. I have two questions. 1 - is there anything I can line the floor with to stop urine soaking into the wood? I have hemp and hay but looking for something to go under this.
2 - I am going to have a run on the lawn but I would also like if possible a run attached to the hutch. This would be on patio. I've seen conflicting advice about the being direct on the patio as it may damage their feet?. Does anyone have any recommendations for something I could put on top of the slabs?
Thank you!

I lined my hutch with a correx sheet like you'd use for a C&C cage. Also stops the bedding falling through the mesh.

Regarding the patio, I'd make sure at least part of it has a fleece blanket over it so it's softer on their feet. Will this be in a sheltered place? Will it get too hot in summer?

:wel:

What sex are the piggies you are getting?
A 6ft hutch (12 sq ft) would be fine for two boars to live in. You should not keep three boars together in any event as they will fight.
If you are getting sows, then it would be ok for three sows but it would be better to have two sows in a 6ft hutch as it would give them more space each.

You could line it with correx, or lino even. Both would work. I’ve lined mine with correx

I personally prefer to physically move my piggies from their hutch (which is in a shed) into the run rather than having a hutch and run attached. The reason for this is that piggies should only be out when supervised so if you wouldn’t really want to leave the door open for them to have free access out all the time anyway.
An outdoor run has probably only got a month or so of use left for this year so if you do attach it, i would recommend you don’t make it a permanent attachment.

If you are going to put them on a patio, then I would personally put something absorbent on the slabs - a fleece or a covering of hay (although that isn’t really absorbent). Of course both of those things would need to be kept dry and removed probably daily. From late autumn (weather dependent of course) the piggies should not go out into the run if the ground is damp or cold

As a permanent lining you could cut lino to fit the hutch and glue it down, which I have done in the past.

So long as they can chose to be on the concrete or on a softer area it won't harm their feet and can be of benefit in keeping their nails worn down. Will you be locking them in just the hutch over night and other times when preditors may be about?

Thanks for the reply. Yes it will be sheltered. I've a North facing garden and it will be in the shade of the house. House directly behind, conservatory to the side and the neighbours garage blocks wind the opp side. I've also bought a shade for the run.
Thank you, I had just been looking at the c c bases for the hutch so I think I'll go with that. I might get some of the fleece pads made that I've seen people put in the c & c cages then and put that direct on the patio, then I can wash them. I've ordered some seagrass mats too but I would need about 12 to cover a 6 ft run completely so I had ruled that out as total coverage.

A 6ft hutch (12 sq ft) would be fine for two boars to live in. You should not keep three boars together in any event as they will fight.
If you are getting sows, then it would be ok for three sows but it would be better to have two sows in a 6ft hutch as it would give them more space each.

You could line it with correx, or lino even. Both would work. I’ve lined mine with correx

I personally prefer to physically move my piggies from their hutch (which is in a shed) into the run rather than having a hutch and run attached. The reason for this is that piggies should only be out when supervised so if you wouldn’t really want to leave the door open for them to have free access out all the time anyway.
An outdoor run has probably only got a month or so of use left for this year so if you do attach it, i would recommend you don’t make it a permanent attachment.

If you are going to put them on a patio, then I would personally put something absorbent on the slabs - a fleece or a covering of hay (although that isn’t really absorbent). Of course both of those things would need to be kept dry and removed probably daily. From late autumn (weather dependent of course) the piggies should not go out into the run if the ground is damp or cold
Hi. I don't know what Dec yet as until the rescue

Hi. I don't know what sex yet as I need someone from the rescue place to come out and assess my set up before I can go on the list to adopt, which will happen in the next week or so. But I know about boar / sow combos. I've been lurking on several boards and on lots of sites making sure I know exactly what the requirements are.
It wouldn't be their main run, that would be on the lawn. They will only be able to access it when we open the door from the hutch and it's mainly for the days when only my husband is home because he won't want to physically move them. I want them to be able to get out whilst I'm not there still (he will be, they won't be in the run unattended) and when I'm there I will transfer them to a run on the grass.

I lined my hutch with a correx sheet like you'd use for a C&C cage. Also stops the bedding falling through the mesh.

Regarding the patio, I'd make sure at least part of it has a fleece blanket over it so it's softer on their feet. Will this be in a sheltered place? Will it get too hot in summer?

As a permanent lining you could cut lino to fit the hutch and glue it down, which I have done in the past.

So long as they can chose to be on the concrete or on a softer area it won't harm their feet and can be of benefit in keeping their nails worn down. Will you be locking them in just the hutch over night and other times when preditors may be about?
Yes they will be in the hutch overnight and when we're not at home. It will be a removable run too so I'll only put it on there when needed.

Hello. I've got a correx sheet to line the hutch. Do you just lay it on the base or do you glue it down? Also do you cut to size so it meets the edges or have you folded the sides to make a tray that fits in? I'm so nearly there, just got to get this in then screw the roof on and we're all ready for the piggies.

I have never glued mine down - it’s sometimes useful to be able to take them out for a proper clean

My correx liner has an upstand on it

Hello. I've got a correx sheet to line the hutch. Do you just lay it on the base or do you glue it down? Also do you cut to size so it meets the edges or have you folded the sides to make a tray that fits in? I'm so nearly there, just got to get this in then screw the roof on and we're all ready for the piggies.
I haven't glued mine down as hay and dirt can get underneath it and I want to be able to clean under it. I folded it, like you would for a C&C cage, to make a tray.

Back