New Owner - Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRG

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've recently brought home two baby girls who appeared quite calm when being handled a few times in the pet store; however, after giving them around 3/4 days to adjust to their new home, chatting softly, allowing them to smell my hand in the cage, hand feeding and trying to pet them in the cage, one is much more confident than the other.

Both remain skittish, but while Darcy is more adventurous in nature already and likes to explore & will sit still to be petted on my knee, Una absolutely panics when you go to touch her or pick her up. She has jumped back into the cage from my knee and tonight when I brought her out, she tried running off. When I caught her, I was scared I may have traumatised or hurt her by quickly grabbing and lifting her as she struggled so much!

Can anyone help? I'm becoming much more nervous around them as Una is so jumpy and seems so unhappy :(

Hi and welcome!

Please keep in mind that guinea pigs are prey animals, and that especially shop or breeder piggies have not had much in the way of handling. Trust takes much longer than just a few days to build up, especially with the timid ones; you have to think in weeks or even months.

You may find these threads here helpful. Whenever there has been an upset, please take a step back and start afresh. You will get there eventually; it is a vey special feeling when you finally know for sure that such a timid creature is trusting implicitly.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-pick-up-your-guinea-pig.126359/ (alternatively a walk-in cardboard box that you fill with some fresh, soft hay will also do the trick very nicely. For the weekly weigh in, you can weigh your girls in the box and then weigh the box without them.

We have got a lot more information at the top of our various Care sections, which you may helpful, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have.

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and possible where you are. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

I have had mine for 6 months or so and they are just now getting confident enough for me to touch them and will come to the cage ledge to get scratches and chin rubs one of my girls had a very ruff start to life she is still very skittish. But she is slowly coming around. It just takes time. I have my first piggie oscar he will let me do anything to him but I've had him almost a year. You just have to be very patient. They are really great pets but it takes time. Every piggies personality is different. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to really ever touch my girl but that's just how she is. I have 15 and they are all very different. Just hang in there. Good luck.

I have had mine for 6 months or so and they are just now getting confident enough for me to touch them and will come to the cage ledge to get scratches and chin rubs one of my girls had a very ruff start to life she is still very skittish. But she is slowly coming around. It just takes time. I have my first piggie oscar he will let me do anything to him but I've had him almost a year. You just have to be very patient. They are really great pets but it takes time. Every piggies personality is different. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to really ever touch my girl but that's just how she is. I have 15 and they are all very different. Just hang in there. Good luck.

Thanks, both replies are really helpful. I just wish I knew whether what I'm doing is actually ok or not! Darcy lets me pet her in the cage and out, whereas even the tiniest and slowest movement will send Una running! I'm afraid I've scared her so much by trying to pick her up that I've already damaged the trust :/

I don't pick mine up directly I have a cuddle sack and I push them in and then pick them up in the sack. My one girl I don't handle at all yet but she will eat out of my hand finally and I can scratch the top of her head in the cage. Now but it took a good 6 months to accomplish that. My other girl the one that had a very rough start I can't even touch her. I had to push her in the snuggle sack just to get her nails clipped. Poor thing. My other girls now happily just hop into the sack when I put it in front them. Because they have learned that that means they get to have a run on the floor or lap time. My neutered male oscar he is like a puppy I can rub his belly and he loves to follow me and the dogs around the house. That took a year to build up his confidence. You really can't do anything wrong as long as you are kind and very patient. Weikbe gave you lots of links with helpful info, I read them about a hundred times. I found the consistency is key.
My piggies know exactly what time they eat in the morning and in the evening, they also know when floor time is. Because it it the same everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back