New owner - C&C cage design/ set up questions

Fizzali

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a UK member, and new to the forum - we are currently preparing to adopt 2 guinea pigs - I've been doing a lot of reading about what is best and we will be going for a C&C cage inside. I have a couple of questions....

I understand 4x2 is the minimum size for 2 piggies - is it possible for me to set up as a corner shape as per my appalling sketch below? We do have just enough space to have it as one 4x2 stretch but this would fit our space a lot better - has anyone done this?

Also, can I ask where people have bought the materials if not buying direct from somewhere like Kavee? Have people used the grids from Amazon or eBay with success?
The cloroplast seems harder to source! Can anyone recommend anywhere in the UK to buy this from?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7131 (1).webp
    IMG_7131 (1).webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum, well done for doing your research first and thank you for adopting.
I myself use songmics grids from Amazon as they are much cheaper than kavee. If your skills are up to it then you can buy flat sheets of correx from various places either in-store or online. For the pre cut/shaped as well as kavee, Amazon do some and I have some from cage creations but they only do black. It's always worth shopping aroundScreenshot_2024-04-06-11-40-01-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg. I have attached a link for the grids that I have, these cost less than £30.
I can't wait to see pigtures of your new arrivals when you get them.

I have those same Songmics grids that @fluffysal linked, and I'd recommend them too.

As for layouts, yes that space would work, although it's very much the bare minimum. If you could stretch it ever so slightly, even getting a extra half grid in there, it would be better, although I know finding space can be difficult.

I can't help with correx though, sorry. I use a sheet of tarp instead.

For a long time I used rubber playmats instead of correx, this only works if you plan on using fleece cage liners as they need to be inaccessible to the piggies. I only switched because I wanted the nice colour.Screenshot_2023-12-18-17-21-10-88_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.webp

Welcome to the forum, well done for doing your research first and thank you for adopting.
I myself use songmics grids from Amazon as they are much cheaper than kavee. If your skills are up to it then you can buy flat sheets of correx from various places either in-store or online. For the pre cut/shaped as well as kavee, Amazon do some and I have some from cage creations but they only do black. It's always worth shopping aroundView attachment 245718. I have attached a link for the grids that I have, these cost less than £30.
I can't wait to see pigtures of your new arrivals when you get them.
This is so helpful thank you - one of these sets would be enough to make the enclosure and a stand for it too. I may actually get two as can make an outdoor covered run with the rest of them.

Thanks @Lorcan - I'm keen to give them as much space as we can, we have quite a big room but for various logistical reasons its really awkward to fit it in around the existing furniture. And it isnt stuff we can get rid of like a dining table etc! We could fit a bigger cage in the garage but I was weighing it up and felt they'd be better off in our main living space so we can interact with them more. I will definitely see if we can stretch it to the biggest possible space we can.

Oh interesting! Yes I am planning on using fleece - though feels like the correx would offer some more protection against hay etc falling through the bars?
My plan if I go with the above design is to have the smaller corner part to be entirely hay and shelter, and then the longer section fleece with other hideys etc.

Cage creations do sell a "kitchen area" high sided small correx area. I used to have the fleeces/ bathmats overlapping so they were covering part of the side.
NOTHING stops them kicking a certain amount of hay and poo out though.
Also, most of us use several smaller fleeces rather than a big one. Easier to care for, wash, dry etc. I recommend getting a silicone bristles hand brush and a pet washing bag.

This is so helpful thank you - one of these sets would be enough to make the enclosure and a stand for it too. I may actually get two as can make an outdoor covered run with the rest of them.

Thanks @Lorcan - I'm keen to give them as much space as we can, we have quite a big room but for various logistical reasons its really awkward to fit it in around the existing furniture. And it isnt stuff we can get rid of like a dining table etc! We could fit a bigger cage in the garage but I was weighing it up and felt they'd be better off in our main living space so we can interact with them more. I will definitely see if we can stretch it to the biggest possible space we can.
Well done for doing your homework before welcoming piggies into your life.

I would vote for a cage indoors where you can interact with them a lot.

Whilst using grids for an outdoor run might seem like a good idea, make sure they are fox/cat/dog proof. I think using something more substantial outdoors would be better. Grids do , however, make excellent indoor runs for floor time. I have cable tied mine so they take seconds to set up.

Well done for doing your homework before welcoming piggies into your life.

I would vote for a cage indoors where you can interact with them a lot.

Whilst using grids for an outdoor run might seem like a good idea, make sure they are fox/cat/dog proof. I think using something more substantial outdoors would be better. Grids do , however, make excellent indoor runs for floor time. I have cable tied mine so they take seconds to set up.
Yes I think in the house is best even if it means a tiny bit of a smaller space.

Ahh good point. Do you have anything specific you use for outdoor time?

I used proplex from Wickes. It’s thinner than coroplast. I did also order correx from eBay once.
Proplex Black Surface Protection Sheet - 2400 x 1200 x 2mm | Wickes.co.uk

Something to bear in mind is that if you’re adopting from a rescue, they usually have their own requirements for cage size. So I would speak to them first and see.

Other thing is that although 4x2 is the minimum, boars do better with more space. You could put them in a 4x2 as that
Is minimum, but bigger is often better with them.

Good luck and have fun 😁 I’ve recently come to the end of my piggy slavery days and do miss it!

There are quite a lot of outdoor wooden and wire runs for sale. They need shade so some solid roof can help, but make sure the rain can drain, otherwise towels/fleece weighted down work too. Some are made to fold up so you can store them in the winter more easily

I used proplex from Wickes. It’s thinner than coroplast. I did also order correx from eBay once.
Proplex Black Surface Protection Sheet - 2400 x 1200 x 2mm | Wickes.co.uk

Something to bear in mind is that if you’re adopting from a rescue, they usually have their own requirements for cage size. So I would speak to them first and see.

Other thing is that although 4x2 is the minimum, boars do better with more space. You could put them in a 4x2 as that
Is minimum, but bigger is often better with them.

Good luck and have fun 😁 I’ve recently come to the end of my piggy slavery days and do miss it!
Oh thank you, that looks good - does it work to fold up the edges to make it into a tray like the correx?

Yes the rescue website states that some of their boars will need a 5x2 - we physically can't fit that in so it may mean we get sows which is fine for us.

Sorry to hear you have lost your piggies :-(

Boars are delightfully demented little creatures but they definitely need their space. You could go for a neutered boar + sow pair too, boars need their space from each other, rather than from a sow.

Back