New kitten and piggy question!

Quacky

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First time posting here, looking for some advice for anyone who owns cats and pigs! I got a kitten last week, she is 9 weeks old at the moment, full of energy, always wanting to play, very hyper overall.

My piggy is an adult and is in a C&C with a lid, and I put a blanket on top for when kitty is around, she’s starting showing interest in the cage, and tries to jump up to see what’s in there as the cage is on a stand, I decided to hold her up to see the pig and nothing bad happened, they touched noses and kitty was very confused.

I really want her to be chill with the pig, and I’ve seen it happen a lot where the cat doesn’t care, but is it best waiting till she’s older and more chilled out to try and get them used to each other? Or just leave it and she’ll stop caring when the cage is no longer a new thing? I’m worried as shes very playful and I know how easy it can go badly even from a quick harmless swipe from kitty.

I have 2 cats. they've killed birds mice rats shrews one time one of them brought back a rabbit..... they dont bother my guinea pigs. but i think thats because they've tried to catch squirrels before and learned the hard way why that's a bad idea. i think they just see them as squirrels with out tails.... they still catch any mouse that tries to get in come winter. they get all riled up over birds. but i've seen them sleep next to the guinea pig cage giving them 0 notice.

My suggestion would be to pet the cat around the guinea pigs and not play near them. this way they dont get the association of toys or food which guinea pigs are neither :P

Back