New kitten and guinea pigs

shaysbeautifulboys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i recently got an 8 week old kitten and i knew that i had to get a lid for the guinea pigs cage so i bought extra grids to attach to the top. However iv noticed the kitten just staring at the guinea pigs and trying to get inside or close to them. i covered the cage with a huge blanket but she still hears them. I’m just wondering if the kitten is just curious or if she will try to attack them. any advice?

I don't have experience, but I believe the general consensus is that you should not let cats (or any predator animal) interact with guinea pigs. It would be so easy to have an accident, even if the kitten doesn't mean to do it! I know some people have made it work, but letting them interact is certainly not the safest option. Animals are so unpredictable and even if they seem to be getting along, it could go bad in seconds!

Covering the piggies cage with a blanket doesn't sound like an ideal permanent solution. Would it be possible to move the piggies to their own private room? I'm sympathetic to space issues so I know it might not be easy or possible, but that would probably be the easiest fix if your cat isn't leaving them alone. Like I said, I don't know anything about kitten behavior. Maybe it will pass if she is just new and curious. Not sure if her constant presence would stress out the pigs though? Hopefully someone with kitten experience will give you some insight. Hope you can figure something out that works for the kitten and the piggies! 🙂

She may be curious but it’s not something I would encourage. When will you be able to build the lid? Remember they’re climbers so you don’t want her getting in. If possible, make sure she’s out of the room unless you’re there with her to supervise at all times.

Oh pls be careful,
Your kitten will be cute and curious, , thats nature
Piggies are easy targets for cats and sorry but only takes a second for a attack,
Best way is keep them separated at ALL times,
I have cats all around where I live, , so windows never open more than a small gap, doors ALWAYS closed

Last year, we found a 5-week old kitten on the side of the road. He wasn't staying with us, but long story short, he is now 13 months old and well and truly part of the family.

He was obsessed with the piggies. I have a C&C which I covered in fly screen (the type you lay over vegetables - eBay), which I attached all over (wrapped around and included the bottom, covered the top/lid separately), as Alan could easily get his paws through. We also got those radiator clothes hangers and attached them to the front of the cage, this meant he couldn't jump up at the front anymore. Each time he showed an interest we would grab one of his toys to distract him. He also lost a lot of interest as soon as he was allowed to go outside. If he was having a quiet minute we would sit with him on our lap in front of the piggies and talk to them/stroke them through the holes we made in the mesh, to try and make him see they were part of the gang, not toys (not sure how much of that made a difference though!).

We have been lucky as our older boy Gibson is very chilled, and doesn't run for anything, so our baby boy Keith watched his behavior and stopped reacting to Alan - it was the running away that was encouraging him! So, when Keith stopped running, Alan got bored! He still watches them from time to time, and he sleeps on top of the cage, but he doesn't try and 'catch' them anymore.

That being said, it is also important to make sure the cage lid is locked - we use these: Amazon binder rings so that there is no risk of Alan hitching the lid up and getting inside.

We also have a cover over the top, but that has always been there and is rolled up/back during the day and down at night.

It might be a long road, but you can do it!

Excuse the mess(!):
C&C.webp

Thank you so much for the help, the kitten normally stays downstairs instead of my room now and my room door is shut at all times. The cage does have a lid on it now and iv made sure she won’t be able to get in.

Back