New introduction into the pack

Vickyg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got 2 rescue Guinea pigs from the local shelter. They have been alongside my existing pack so they have been able to smell and see each other.
I'm just starting a slow introduction process, like I would normally. But I've seen something that I've never quite seen before. My existing pack of 5 comprises of 1 neutered male and 5 females. The 2 new ones are females. One of the new females has been trying to mount the male. I've not seen this before myself but some of you may have. Is this just a dominance thing? They are also being a little narky with each other too. I'm guessing this is all part of the process maybe. But I've never experience this previously. Appreciate any advice

Welcome to your two new ladies. The first thing I want to mention is that you can’t do slow introductions (unless there are piggies that are fear aggressive). You need to put them together and see how it concludes.

Sows will mount as well as a sign of dominance. The boar is part of the overall hierarchy but is outside the sows’ hierarchy.

When you say they’re narky, what exactly are they doing? I’ll link to the bonding guide below as well as their dominance behaviour levels. Perhaps see if you can work out where they are on the scale. How long have they been together now?

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Thank you. They have just started bonding today only so it's all right at the beginning. But I've never seen this behaviour before in any other bonding. It's a new one on me. It almost felt like it was 2 males going at each other. But definitely not 2 males, for sure :) I've done my bonding the same way all these years and it's never ever failed me. I will check the scale and get back to you

Back