New hutch

emmarob87

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I recently had a buy a bigger hutch because I went from 2 to 3 guinea pigs, we built it up and put them all in it yesterday. My older girl looks really sad about this and kept herself to herself she's gone off her food and only having a nibble here and there. Is this normal for her to be sad?

Did you put the soiled bedding from the old hutch into the new hutch? Doing so means the new hutch still has some familiar smells and can help them settle.
A new environment will always mean they have to reestablish their relationship in a new environment so perhaps that is also unsettling her.
Is the new one a 6ft hutch?

With all that said, you should not assume it is to do with the new hutch - the potential for medical issues always need to come first and that the new hutch is just a coincidence. Instead you need to switch to daily weight checks so you can monitor her hay intake. If she loses weight then you need to step in with syringe feeding. If weight loss continues then she will need to see a vet.

Did you put the soiled bedding from the old hutch into the new hutch? Doing so means the new hutch still has some familiar smells and can help them settle.
A new environment will always mean they have to reestablish their relationship in a new environment so perhaps that is also unsettling her.
Is the new one a 6ft hutch?

With all that said, you should not assume it is to do with the new hutch - the potential for medical issues always need to come first and that the new hutch is just a coincidence. Instead you need to switch to daily weight checks so you can monitor her hay intake. If she loses weight then you need to step in with syringe feeding. If weight loss continues then she will need to see a vet.
Hi yes the new hutch is 6ft as the one I had before was no where big enough for 3. I put a little bit of the hay stack in there to get familiar smells and she has been nibbling only had a couple of veggies. She ls just sitting in the hide and not really come out which is unlike her, she was eating and perfectly fine before I moved her. Is there anything else I can do for her.

Hi yes the new hutch is 6ft as the one I had before was no where big enough for 3. I put a little bit of the hay stack in there to get familiar smells and she has been nibbling only had a couple of veggies. She ls just sitting in the hide and not really come out which is unlike her, she was eating and perfectly fine before I moved her. Is there anything else I can do for her.

I would rub the hay everywhere over any new bedding so that the smell is all the way through the hutch, not just in one stack of hay.

Otherwise it’s as I have suggested - daily weight check, syringe feed and see a vet just in case it is nothing to do with the new hutch.

I would rub the hay everywhere over any new bedding so that the smell is all the way through the hutch, not just in one stack of hay.

Otherwise it’s as I have suggested - daily weight check, syringe feed and see a vet just in case it is nothing to do with the new hutch.
I took her to the vet anyway better to be safe then sorry and she has a bloated stomach so glad I did. Thank you for the advice.

I’m glad you’ve had her seen. Sorry to hear she is unwell though.

These are our guides which you will find useful in dealing with bloat.
Was she given gut medications and pain meds?

Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
She was just given pain meds I think we'll we only came home with one thing and she had an injection while we were there.
Thanks for the links I will have a read now. Hopefully she's back to her happy self soon.

She was just given pain meds I think we'll we only came home with one thing and she had an injection while we were there.
Thanks for the links I will have a read now. Hopefully she's back to her happy self soon.

What was the medication she was sent home with?
What was the injection she was given?

Please do read the Bloat guide - it explains everything that needs to happen to get her through it. Daily weight checks, syringe feeding every two hours (no veg should be given while she has bloat), along with the necessary medications

What was the medication she was sent home with?
What was the injection she was given?

Please do read the Bloat guide - it explains everything that needs to happen to get her through it. Daily weight checks, syringe feeding every two hours (no veg should be given while she has bloat), along with the necessary medications
I've just read the guide and it was really helpful we have syringe feed her mushed up pellets (hope that's correct) that's all I have. She did very well and we have gave her water like that too which she drank well. It was ruhamcon (wrong spelling and the same injection while we was there) her stomach seems to have settled and she's a little more active.

Back