New home!

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So after longer than I would have liked, the piggies have moved into their new home. It's 3x2 but our panels are 45x35cm so works out bigger than a 4x2. I am so happy with the space they have. We've seen lots of zoomies and popcorning.

I intend to rotate toys around when cleaning out. The cardboard hidey won't last long, so that'll need replacing soon.

Anything else I should/could have in here?

Without correx I do notice the hay going everywhere, but I don't mind! Also managed to launch a few poops trying to get them off the bath mat!

Attachments

• 20230512_070217.webp
    20230512_070217.webp
    99.1 KB · Views: 22
Congratulations!

I would watch the pigloo hide - your piggies may be ok with it but single exit hides can cause problems as there is no way out if one piggy blocks the door (it can be a flashpoint for issues).
I would remove those two hanging stick treat items on the right hand side of the cage - that kind of thing isn’t recommended
I would also add another water bottle. Having two of everything is recommended so that they don’t have to share anything but also a fail safe - if one bottle fails while you aren’t there, then at least they’ve got the other available to them

Congratulations!

I would watch the pigloo hide - your piggies may be ok with it but single exit hides can cause problems as there is no way out if one piggy blocks the door (it can be a flashpoint for issues).
I would remove those two hanging stick treat items on the right hand side of the cage - that kind of thing isn’t recommended
I would also add another water bottle. Having two of everything is recommended so that they don’t have to share anything but also a fail safe - if one bottle fails while you aren’t there, then at least they’ve got the other available to them

Thank you. The treats were something MIL introduced, so I'll take those out.

I haven't noticed Muffin using the water bottle, she drinks from the bowl, but I'll add another bottle and bowl for her too.

I wondered about the pigloo, the cardboard hidey has 2 exits, but won't last another day from all the wee. I've struggled to find any 2 exit hideys, any suggestions? I've seen a willow tunnel one in P@H but that clearly won't last long.

Thank you. The treats were something MIL introduced, so I'll take those out.

I haven't noticed Muffin using the water bottle, she drinks from the bowl, but I'll add another bottle and bowl for her too.

I wondered about the pigloo, the cardboard hidey has 2 exits, but won't last another day from all the wee. I've struggled to find any 2 exit hideys, any suggestions? I've seen a willow tunnel one in P@H but that clearly won't last long.

A bowl is absolutely fine, add in a variety so they have choice.

I use bendy log bridges for my piggies, you just need to make sure you get the right size (they go really small which only fit hamsters!).
I also have a three exit hide which I got from Amazon called Elmato Freddy

Attachments

• IMG_2909.webp
    IMG_2909.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 16
As I say they may be fine with the pigloo. Although to add, I wouldnt use it in summer as it may get warm inside it (definitely don’t use it outdoor if they do go outside in a run for playtime)

What a lovely cage, lucky boys :wub:

As a general rule of thumb I do not buy anything from the pets at home toy section, aside from plain wood and hay boxes.
That is just me though as I find most things are either unsuitable or my pigs just ignore it.

For enrichment you will get so much more from a big pile of hay than some strangely coloured toy, which always seem to cost way too much.
Piggies also love pea flakes which you can just order off of amazon, my boys love a couple put in their hay for them to forage (once a week, at most).

A good toilet paper roll never went amiss to cut into little rings and create all sorts of fun shapes to hold veg/hay.
One christmas I cut plain cardboard into trees and used coriander as tinsel, I cant find the picture but it is things like that, which is fun for us and for them.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

I will attach a couple links to things off of amazon that my boys love.

https://amzn.eu/d/9IcL2mQ
A plain willow tunnel or willow ball is a classic, guinea pigs love to chew on it.

https://amzn.eu/d/bq14OuT
They also sell this at pets at home, it is very big but easy to put together and my boys love it. You may want to cut a side entrance, as I did.

https://amzn.eu/d/7Tj1U0h
My boys love this, and I do not really know why.
Sometimes they lay under it, sometimes I turn it upside down and use it as a hay rack, it really just depends on the day.
I also turned a few into hammocks by putting 4 pins in and then attaching a hammock to it, on the ground though as my boys don’t seem to like swinging in the air.

I changed the bedding yesterday. I think the bath mat and fleece might last an extra day, only a small amount of wee has gone through to the puppy pads. I'm guessing it's trial and error. They're very good at only toileting in their hideys and hay tray (and weeing over the edge of the tray!). I've ordered some pee pads so that might let the mats and fleece last longer.

I added the extra water bottle and bowl, removed the treat sticks and added a log hide. Keeping an eye on the pigloo, no issues yet. Tried the snuffle mat with some piggie pellets, it was a big hit!

Attachments

• 20230513_135409.webp
    20230513_135409.webp
    113.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230513_134214.webp
    20230513_134214.webp
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230513_134113.webp
    20230513_134113.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230513_140228.webp
    20230513_140228.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 11
Did you pre wash all the fleece and bath mats around three times before using them?

Did you pre wash all the fleece and bath mats around three times before using them?

Yes, I think I'm just over-cautious about it being damp. I remove the wet hay, and it is only small areas.

Back