New here and need help with the coming winter

Gizmo&Stripe

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend have two piggies and I'm very worried about the upcoming winter. We live in Iowa and it's already starting to get a little chilly so I've been wondering about any new good tips or anything to help keep them warm.

I've already bought a big, full size fluffy blanket to put around their cage, hoping itll trap any heat inside.

I've wondered about a space heater but worry itll be too hot.

Thank you for reading

:wel:

Piggies are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees, so the first thing is to identify what temperature their room is at. A thermometer on the cage is a good idea.

Covering part of the top of cage with a blanket and any sides which may be exposed to draughts will help.
Hay is also a very good insulator so fill hides and cardboard boxes with hay for them to snuggle into.
You can also buy microwaveable heatpads (called Snugglesafes) which are really good to be put under a hide so they can go and sit on them if they wish. (Make sure that there is always the option of a hide or two without a heatpad)
A heater in the room is fine if you can make sure it remains at a good, steady temperature and, as you say, doesnt allow the room to overheat.

:wel:

Piggies are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees, so the first thing is to identify what temperature their room is at. A thermometer on the cage is a good idea.

Covering part of the top of cage with a blanket and any sides which may be exposed to draughts will help.
Hay is also a very good insulator so fill hides and cardboard boxes with hay for them to snuggle into.
You can also buy microwaveable heatpads (called Snugglesafes) which are really good to be put under a hide so they can go and sit on them if they wish. (Make sure that there is always the option of a hide or two without a heatpad)
A heater in the room is fine if you can make sure it remains at a good, steady temperature and, as you say, doesnt allow the room to overheat.
I didnt realize they made heatpads that are microwaveable. I'll look into them, thank you for the comment <3

Back