New! Hello :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sreep

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
New here!

Been trying for days to register and finally succeeded today so thought I'd introduce my piggies into the mix.
Definitely don't know technical terms for colouring but I've attached pics.
The first if Burt - the one with the tan, white and brown with the rosette on his forehead. He's the original P.I.G :)
I recently lost his brother Earnie by way of a multitude of strokes affecting various parts of his brain to the point where he couldn't function. Earnie is the chocolate brown piggy with the white on his head.
As I didn't want Burt to be on his own, I recently gave home to two more little guys whom I'm letting settle before introducing them.
And the last two pictures is the two new boys - yet to settle on names! Any help appreciated :)

(Don't know how to put the pics on the actual typing)

Look forward to gettin to know the forum!

image.webp

Welcome to the forum, sorry about the issues signing up. They are all foxed now :) Thanks for persevering

Your piggies are beautiful. I am so sorry to read about Earnie, he was stunning. It is really hard to lose a much loved pet. Please feel free to leave a memorial to him in our Rainbow Bridge section of the forum

Two new boys - beauties :love: They look like they might have some long haired in them. Any idea on names? You thinking of a theme?

What size is your cage? A word of warning boar trios can be notoriously difficult once hormones kick in and fights may occur. They do occasionally work out however. Would you consider two pairs instead?

Welcome again
Lee

Still working on names although I do like chewie and wookie.

We have a two tier hutch outside with run for them to live in Which Burt currently lives in.

The two new baby boys are currently indoors in a 160cm indoor cage.

I definitely won't be just putting them together, I have a neutral run to introduce them in which I will do over a period of time and if it doesn't work out I shall adopt Burt some company as a duo and keep the new boys as a duo.

The two new boys do have very soft and longish fur. The lighter coloured on has a somewhat ridge along his back which isn't noticeable in pictures and the tan and white is extremely soft and velvety and appears curly somewhat. No idea on what their breeds may be.

I have kept piggys before, it's just been a while and couldn't keep myself from adding to our animal family :)

Natalie

I'm not an expert but everything I've read says once you introduce boars you must stick with it! they are not like sows who can be introduced over a couple of days as separating boys causes them to restart the entire bonding/dominance process

It was a long battle with Earnie and I'm just glad he isn't in pain anymore. He wasn't right since we got him and after numerous meds and vets visits he was just showing no sign of getting better and deteriorating by the day. In the end he had no use of his back legs, he couldn't see, he had a severe head tilt and bobbing with rolling eyes but amongst all this he was still a little glutton and loved his food. I'm just glad it was me that had him, actually paying out on vet fees etc and taking the time to care for him day in day out. It was a sad day indeed when he was put to sleep.

I don't have many photos on this phone at all (recent inevitable screen smash of my actual phone) so I have a makeshift until is fixed.

Not taken many of the new boys as I haven't been wanting to disturb them very much whilst they settle.

Only keeping them in the hutch until my hubby converts a small shed into a piggy haven :)

image.webp

image.webp

image.webp

image.webp

@MerryPip any idea on breeds, Rach? You are quite good at this sort of thing...

Oh i see, I've been researching it furiously about introducing board and just worry. A lot is said about a lot of ways.
Certainly don't want Burt on his own! He was such a playful little thing with Earnie and I swear he squeals out for him, more so when Earnie was separated into a smaller cage near him.

Poor Earnie, sometimes PTS is the kindest thing and the last act of love we can do. He was loved and cherished and that is all any of us can want from life.

I see they are fond of spinach - our girls think it is food from the gods when they get some!

They love spinach! Along with Spring greens, sprouts, kale and recently celery leaves.
My partner moans about the amount I spend of veg for them They eat better than we do some days! The fridge is just completely green with peppers dotted about haha.

They love spinach! Along with Spring greens, sprouts, kale and recently celery leaves.
My partner moans about the amount I spend of veg for them They eat better than we do some days! The fridge is just completely green with peppers dotted about haha.

:) yeah, celery leaves go down well with ours, have you tried coriander? Our girls favourite by far. Peppers are great too, Orange Pepper is the big hitter with Widget, she stole Vimto's this morning.... :))

Literally bought a coriander and parsley plants this morning :) Plan is to build a patch with sleepers in the garden and plant piggy friend veg in the near future.

They love peppers! More so red peppers. They basically have one between the 3 on a daily basis.

Literally bought a coriander and parsley plants this morning :) Plan is to build a patch with sleepers in the garden and plant piggy friend veg in the near future.
That is cool, don't let them know though, they will be launching missions to raid it!

Hello and welcome. Well done for persisting getting through the registration process.

Your piggies are adorable. :luv:

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country and county, so we can adapt any advice accordingly. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar, that is the picture that appears with every post you make. Thank you!

Hello and welcome. Well done for persisting getting through the registration process.

Your piggies are adorable. :luv:

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country and county, so we can adapt any advice accordingly. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar, that is the picture that appears with every post you make. Thank you!

I think I e done it...

@MerryPip any idea on breeds, Rach? You are quite good at this sort of thing...
Breed wise I'm not sure they look like a real mixed bag to me :) very pretty though! Here's my thoughts....
The pair in the box have Dutch type markings or mismarked Dutch and coats look like a texel/merino corssed with something but as they are young that might change as they get older and it may be clearer which type.
The short haired is a crested tricolour with roaning (white hairs mingled into the coloured patches) or something to that effect but a bit of a guess really as they look like they might have all sorts in their genes:) I love allsorts piggies!

Breed wise I'm not sure they look like a real mixed bag to me :) very pretty though! Here's my thoughts....
The pair in the box have Dutch type markings or mismarked Dutch and coats look like a texel/merino corssed with something but as they are young that might change as they get older and it may be clearer which type.
The short haired is a crested tricolour with roaning (white hairs mingled into the coloured patches) or something to that effect but a bit of a guess really as they look like they might have all sorts in their genes:) I love allsorts piggies!
Thank you :) either way it's good to know! Currently having cuddles with my big boy Burt.
His "crest" was the reason I wanted him, it causes his face to look so Stimpy and he constantly looks grumpy, just like me :)
I'm not too fussed about breed etc, I was just curious! Love all piggies just the same :)

They love peppers! More so red peppers. They basically have one between the 3 on a daily basis.

What a good idea. I have just set up raised beds in the garden for veg and fruit growing and can see one being dedicated to piggie food - might be a good way of getting my boys (of the human variety) to get involved in growing things as the piggies are really theirs (as I reminded myself as I spent yesterday evening sat on the floor reading to our 2 baby girls (only brought home on Wednesday and feeding them baby spinach and lettuce (which they love) while my sons were out!). Paul, my husband, has also started muttering since he found out I bought a wedge of watermelon for the piggies and not for him - I have kindly said he can have any left overs!:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back