New GuineaMom

Cozen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think I mishandled my Guinea these first few days of getting my guinea pig from a pet store at a mall. I researched, and many have said that do not force to touch or pick up them since they are new to the surroundings but I also read that force handling is also a good tactic for guineas to let them know you. I pick up my guinea pig in her hide and let her roam around my bed at first. But now I just pick her in a short period of time and I just carry her correctly and talk to her. But whenever I put her in her cage she immediately runs away from me and hides. Sometimes when she see me or my partner, she hides. She doesn’t eat from my hand also, she doesn’t eat the veggies I offer her using my hand.

What exactly should I do to correct my ways? I just read online that if I mishandled my guinea I should avoid contact for days.

You need to be patient, especially with a new guinea pig.

If you have mishandled your pig you should give them a few days, you can sit by their cage and speak to them, hand feed etc. to gain trust.

Everyone makes mistakes, but it is great that you wish to work on it.
It can also depend what you mean by mishandled, are you worried you picked them up too early or did you accidentally hold them incorrectly causing discomfort/pain, the reason I ask is that holding a pig incorrectly can be much harder to shake from your pigs perspective of you. This does not mean your pig hates you or will never like you, it just means your pig will be fearful until you show them otherwise.

Many guinea pigs hate being picked up, as they are prey animals. I have a 4 and a 1/2 year old boar who hates being picked up but is fine when he is eventually out of the cage.
Putting a pig in a cozy/hide is a great way to pick them up, and avoids any chance of mistake when trying to grab them as they are quite squirmy.

Chasing a guinea pig around the cage with your hands, if you can imagine, would be very intimidating for anyone let alone a prey animal who has just been moved to some strange place with people they’ve never seen before.

It will/can take time to gain the trust of a pig, especially when they have just been moved from one situation to another, if you are patient and slowly speak to them and introduce yourself to your pigs, they will eventually come to understand that you are safe or at the least associate you with food.

Do you have just one pig? Guinea pigs are very sociable animals and should be kept in atleast pairs.

You may find these guides helpful -
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

If you have mishandled your pig you should give them a few days, you can sit by their cage and speak to them, hand feed etc. to gain trust.

It can also depend what you mean by mishandled, are you worried you picked them up too early or did you accidentally hold them incorrectly causing discomfort/pain, the reason I ask is that holding a pig incorrectly can be much harder to shake from your pigs perspective of you. This does not mean your pig hates you or will never like you, it just means your pig will be fearful until you show them otherwise.

Many guinea pigs hate being picked up, as they are prey animals. I have a 4 and a 1/2 year old boar who hates being picked up but is fine when he is eventually out of the cage.
Putting a pig in a cozy/hide is a great way to pick them up, and avoids any chance of mistake when trying to grab them as they are quite squirmy.

Chasing a guinea pig around the cage with your hands, if you can imagine, would be very intimidating for anyone let alone a prey animal who has just been moved to some strange place with people they’ve never seen before.

It will/can take time to gain the trust of a pig, especially when they have just been moved from one situation to another, if you are patient and slowly speak to them and introduce yourself to your pigs, they will eventually come to understand that you are safe or at the least associate you with food.

Do you have just one pig? Guinea pigs are very sociable animals and should be kept in atleast pairs.

I’m worried since I picked up my guinea too early and when I let her roam around my bed she was squeaking like she’s scared and I felt guilty because she looks so stressed. I do still have one guinea but I’ll get a sister for her asap so that she’ll have a companion.
The pet shop told me that my guinea is 2-3 months old

Your piggy so very young and will be scared. Being alone will, unfortunately, makes things harder for her so do get her a friend asap. Piggies of her age should never be alone.

It can take weeks to months for them to settle in.
Take it at her pace and follow her lead. If she doesn’t seem happy to be out, then leave her in her cage

You’re piggy so very young and will be scared. Being alone will, unfortunately, makes things harder for her so do get her a friend asap. Piggies of her age should never be alone.

It can take weeks to months for them to settle in.
Take it at her pace and follow her lead. If she doesn’t seem happy to be out, then leave her in her cage
Thank you very much🥹

:agr:

Sounds like she is just scared as any pig is when they come home, and it will be worse considering she does not have a friend as of now.
Maybe give her some space and continue to speak to her while sitting next to the cage and offering food with your hands, she will come round but the sooner you get her a friend, she will feel more comfortable with you and your partner.

:agr:

Sounds like she is just scared as any pig is when they come home, and it will be worse considering she does not have a friend as of now.
Maybe give her some space and continue to speak to her while sitting next to the cage and offering food with your hands, she will come round but the sooner you get her a friend, she will feel more comfortable with you and your partner.
Okayy Thank you very much🤎

I agree with everything everyone has said. Definitely get her a friend and don't worry too much, you haven't made any bad mistakes.

The question of picking up and handling new guinea pigs is a tricky one, to be honest. You want to give them time to settle in, but you also want them to get used to handling as soon as you can so that you can safely take them to the vet without the risk of them panicking and jumping off the table. When our two were new, they were so wild that they would just leap into space. We had to try and balance giving them settling-in time with trying to get them tame enough to safely have a checkup.

So like I say, don't worry too much, you're doing your best and I'm sure you'll be a great pig mom.

Welcome to the forum
We all make mistakes - it’s not the end of the world.
We all learn here too.
Looking forward to getting to know you

Back