New Guinea pigs

Frodoyolo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 male guinea pigs who I adopted from our local pet smart who has said they were bonded and 5 years old. So I chose to take them both because I also had read that they get lonely and are super social. When we first got them we had them in a temporary cage which was definitely too small for them but not terribly. Our one guinea pig Frodo was very timid at first and was constantly attacking,chattering, butt bumping our other one gingi. After about a week we had gotten their place set up which is on the floor with blankets, bedding, hay, housing, toys, places to hide, etc. They continued to fight and we thought it would eventually die down. It’s been about 2 months since we have them and Frodo has pretty much calmed out but isn’t very lovey but I can tell her enjoys our company. All pet-smart told us was they had been neglected for pretty much the whole time they had them before being surrendered. Gingie has since become a total butt and is constantly fighting with Frodo as Frodo runs away and tried to hide gingie even will keep him out of any possible home there is, I thought maybe it was playful but eventually they started to have physical marks and I got worried. But Gingie is extremely lovey and comfortable with us just always wants love. I don’t know if they were really bonded or if this is a dominance thing. We plan to take them to the vet very soon just waiting to get an appointment near us. Because we don’t know anything about them or their health just that they are 5 years old and bonded. If that’s even true. Just on here wondering if anyone has any idea because I’m at a loss on what to do, do I separate them? Get a third? Get rid of one and get another cage mate? Don’t get another cage mate and just have one?

:wel:

Definitely do not get a third to try to put in the cage with them, that will be highly likely to make things worse. Adding a third boar will not make these two get on and in fact as boars do better in pairs, adding a third is likely to cause further problems.
Don’t keep just one. Piggies are social and even if two piggies cannot live in one cage together, they must still be kept living in separate but side by side with interaction between the bars. A piggy totally by itself with no other piggy anywhere else in the room, will be very lonely.

If they are actually fighting, are causing injuries to each other and there are clear signs of bullying then their bond is failing/has failed. In that case they do need to be separated and live side by side in separate cages.

Anything else up to the point of a fight is most likely dominance and so it is very important you don’t confuse dominance with fighting. Dominance is normal and to be expected and something you just let them get on with.

With boars it’s about ensuring a lot of space - 180x60cm (70 inches by 24 inches) is the cage size needed, along with two of every item and ensuring that all hides have two exits.

The guides below explain everything further, about how to test a bond, when to separate and generally about keeping boars.

I have four boys myself. I have a bonded pair I’d almost 6 year olds. I also have another pair who are now 15 months old. Sadly when they were 18 weeks old they did have a big fight which broke their bond and they have had to live in side by side cages ever since.

Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back