New Guinea pigs

Naomi21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!
I have just got 3 sows...they're sisters. They are about 10 weeks old. They looked very happy in their original home but now I've bought them to mine they seem absolutely petrified. I know this is normal and different guinea pigs take different amounts of time to settle but I got them about 4 days ago and I can't see that they're drinking any water. I've given them cucumber to help but they almost seem too scared to drink! I've given them a bottle and a dish but neither looks like any has gone out of it.
What I'm also concerned about is the hutch I ordered was late arriving so as I had to collect the guinea pigs I'd made a rather large cardboard construction so it has hidey holes and tunnels and an open area, lots of hay etc but now I'm concerned that as they're so stressed it might stress them even further putting them into the new hutch which has now arrived and I've constructed this eve.
I feel awful because I had every intention of having everything ready. I guess I wasn't expecting them to be this skittish.
I've also read conflicting info on how much to handle them at this stage. I've had them out to give them floor time and just sat by them and given them places to hide and all they've done is hide. Should I be giving them floor time without me there at this stage so they don't feel so threatened or is it better I am there. I've been talking to them gently so they get used to my voice and (hopefully) realise I'm not a threat!
Anyway, sorry for the long post! I just feel a bit disheartened and not sure which way to go from here to make sure they're happy and healthy! Any advice will be greatly received! Thanks ☺️

Hi, your still very early days at the moment so try not to worry! Piggies can take a few weeks if not months to be comfortable! I wouldn’t worry about floor time just yet as that will likely scare them a little bit more, so I would say to wait a few weeks for that as it can be scary for them!
I’m not sure on moving them to the hutch someone with more experience on that will be along soon, I just wanted to reassure you that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, hopefully they will warm up to you soon!

:wel:

They need time to settle in - we are talking weeks to months. Four days is too short.
They don’t need floor time at this point, thats something you look to once they are settled.

For the first week it’s a case of leaving them alone and doing nothing other than putting hay, food and water in and spot cleaning where you can. Cover their cage with a light sheet so they don’t feel exposed from above.
From the second week, sit by their cage and talk to them. Offer food from you hand but have no expectation for them to take it at that point. Once they take food from you, you are gaining their trust. again, sometimes this is weeks to months though (one of mine took food from me at 6 weeks the other was a year and a half before he was brave enough.

My feelings on handling, particularly at such an early stage, is don’t. I prefer to let my piggies come to me when they are ready rather than handling them to get them used to it. They are prey animals and don’t like being handled.
I just sit in the shed with my boys and they come to me if they want to for a little head scratch

However, you do need to handle them for their weekly weight and health checks, so herding them into a carrier and picking them up from there is the best way. They won’t like it but that to be done.
My own two boys have been with me for four years and my handling of them is just for those weekly checks. We don’t sit and have a cuddle because they don’t like it and don’t want it

As prey animals, floor time can be very scary for them. They don’t like open or new spaces. So waiting until they are settled in and then making sure there are lots of places for them to hide may help, but some never like floor time and would prefer to be given their exercise in a playpen. The benefit of a playpen is that you can cover the top so they can feel more secure

Move them to the hutch and leave them to settle into it. Make sure there are plenty of two exit hides, put hay everywhere so they don’t have to come out to eat. Put veg by wherever they are hiding most.
They will most likely be coming out when you arent there, or at least they will start to do so.
Drinking water is a very individual thing in any event, some seemingly not drinking much, others drinking lots. As long as there are wet patches in the cage, they gain weight and are eating, then they absolutely will be drinking (drinking comes before the need to eat).

As you have three piggies, make sure there are three of every item - three bottles/bowls, three hides, three hay piles etc

Please could you change your location to be your county, rather than post code. Its helpful to us to be able to glance at a county or country to give specific advice to your general location.
Equally, we ask that members don’t use postcodes (particularly full post codes) because that away too much information about your exact location if anybody was going to go to the trouble of googling a postcode

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

:wel:

They need time to settle in - we are talking weeks to months. Four days is too short.
They don’t need floor time at this point, thats something you look to once they are settled.

For the first week it’s a case of leaving them alone and doing nothing other than putting hay, food and water in and spot cleaning where you can. Cover their cage with a light sheet so they don’t feel exposed from above.
From the second week, sit by their cage and talk to them. Offer food from you hand but have no expectation for them to take it at that point. Once they take food from you, you are gaining their trust. again, sometimes this is weeks to months though (one of mine took food from me at 6 weeks the other was a year and a half before he was brave enough.

My feelings on handling, particularly at such an early stage, is don’t. I prefer to let my piggies come to me when they are ready rather than handling them to get them used to it. They are prey animals and don’t like being handled.
I just sit in the shed with my boys and they come to me if they want to for a little head scratch

However, you do need to handle them for their weekly weight and health checks, so herding them into a carrier and picking them up from there is the best way. They won’t like it but that to be done.
My own two boys have been with me for four years and my handling of them is just for those weekly checks. We don’t sit and have a cuddle because they don’t like it and don’t want it

As prey animals, floor time can be very scary for them. They don’t like open or new spaces. So waiting until they are settled in and then making sure there are lots of places for them to hide may help, but some never like floor time and would prefer to be given their exercise in a playpen. The benefit of a playpen is that you can cover the top so they can feel more secure

Move them to the hutch and leave them to settle into it. Make sure there are plenty of two exit hides, put hay everywhere so they don’t have to come out to eat. Put veg by wherever they are hiding most.
They will most likely be coming out when you arent there, or at least they will start to do so.
Drinking water is a very individual thing in any event, some seemingly not drinking much, others drinking lots. As long as there are wet patches in the cage, they gain weight and are eating, then they absolutely will be drinking (drinking comes before the need to eat).

As you have three piggies, make sure there are three of every item - three bottles/bowls, three hides, three hay piles etc

Please could you change your location to be your county, rather than post code. Its helpful to us to be able to glance at a county or country to give specific advice to your general location.
Equally, we ask that members don’t use postcodes (particularly full post codes) because that away too much information about your exact location if anybody was going to go to the trouble of googling a postcode

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Thank you so much! I'd managed to confuse myself with all the info! I'll put them into the hutch this morning and just leave them be. I've left them alone for the best part and just got them out for the floor time as I was worried they would frustrated but I will absolutely leave them alone now apart from spot cleaning and feeding etc.
Mine also have quite long hair so should I only start grooming them when they're fully settled?
And last of all, how do I change my location? I've gone into my profile but can't see how to edit that ☺️

I have had long haired guinea pigs and have chosen to cut their hair short rather than brush or comb them (which they loathed). I trim their skirts at the back which tend to get wet from their wee.

Look forward to pics of your girls.

I have a long haired boy and I cut his hair around his bottom and sides short and keep it short year round.
Living outside in a shed I leave the top of his hair longer until spring/summer, and then I give him a very short cut all over, keeping him short through to autumn.

you go into your profile by clicking your avatar, then click account details and scroll down and you will see the field for location

I’ve had my two rescued piggies now for about 2 months and I only now am seeing some noticeable progress in their confidence and it’s just a little. I have a feeling that the gentle ‘let them decide how much of you they want’ approach will hopefully result in happier, more confident piggies in the long run! All the best with your trio! Xx

Hello and welcome. You have been given some great advice above. I would just like to recommend that you double check they are all sows. Learning to sex piggies is a useful skill to have so would do no harm starting now.

What are your girls’ names? And will they be living in or outdoors? Hope you will post some photos when you’re more settled in the site. The more the merrier, if you want 🙂

Welcome to the forum.
Patience is needed to settle new piggies.
Talk gently to them, it doesn’t matter what you say. They will get used to your voice and come to associate you with food.
As others have said - it takes weeks or months.

Back