New Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalLover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So i got 2 new gourgeous female guinea pigs and well one is Lottie and the other is Jersey. Lottie is not that shy but Jersey she is always hiding. Its like Jersey relies on her Lottie. But the thing is in their cage they runa round be happy etc etc when we put them on the couch or sumwhere they dont really move just Lottie moves but rarely. We have had them for a week. What can we do?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations in searching out the forum, it's packed with loads of great information.

Since it's only been a week you need to let them settle in, it takes time and a week isnt very long. Don't forget that they are pre-programmed to hide because of being hunted in the wild, it's just natural. I would have them a week in their cage to settle in, get used to smells, sounds etc. then start handling them for short periods of time, talking sweetly to them and by giving them food at the same time. Eventually they will get used to soft voices =food! especially their favourite food.

Thank you guys! Your so sweet :) Also around how long on average would it take for them to get used to me? I took them outside and they were very happy there nott hat shy anymore but theys till do hide

Welcome to the forum. All piggies are different and being prey animals they do take time to trust you. Just be patient and gentle and they will learn you are a friend.

hi and welcome.
when i got mine the first one wicca, just sat there for like three weeks, wouldnt move. she fine now. but when we got professor turtle she didnt move for like an hour, then was running around goinng nuts. even when out. so its really up to the pig. and if one moves around alot the other will become braver, or be too chicken to be left on its own and follow the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back