New Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

acg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just brought 2 male guinea pigs home today. I have never owned Guinea Pigs before so I was looking for some tips from more experienced owners. It is a two tier hutch that I have and at the moment the bottom part which is a run has nothing in it and in the top I have put the following:

* Wood shavings all over the floor
* 1 Hideaway House which is edible so they can also gnaw on it
* 1 Bowl with Guinea Pig Nuggets
* 1 Large Water Bottle
* Hay
* Some Broccoli

I'm just a bit unsure if this is enough in the hutch? Also, how much hay should I be putting in? I have filled the little section they sleep in about a quarter full with Hay and I have put some inside the Hideaway House but is this enough? Also, the pet shop have told me to feed them 60g of Guinea Pig Nuggets a day and I wondered how much veg they should be getting on top of this per day and what types are best?

I would probably put two houses in there, just to make sure they won't argue and can have their own space if needed :)

Hi there and welcome!
Congratulations on your new piggies. What are their names? Your set up sounds lovely :) The only thing I would say is that boars can often need two of everything to avoid squabbling - so my pair Pumpkin and Boo have a water bottle each, a hay tray each, a hidey tunnel each but they actually happily share a food bowl. They did have a food bowl each but I removed one as they always shared. Water bottles do seem to be contentious for my two though!

They might squabble over the hidey hut so you could put a cardboard box in for the other one to hide in for now :)

You cant over do the hay :) its fine for them to have it ad lib, eating it will prevent boredom and keep their teeth in good shape.

Hi :wel:to the forum..

If you could add your location to your profile that would be great, Just click on your name on the forum page and enter your location in your personal details Page..

The ideal piggie diet should consist of at least 80% hay ( unlimited is better ) 15% fresh veggies and 5% GP nuggets.

We have included a couple of threads for you to have a look at

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/tutorial-videos.109353/ posting pics etc.. WE love Pigtures.. xx

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/ great for veggies introduce slowly as not to upset tummy's as they might not be used to them.. you will soon find out which veggies they like best... have fun..

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/

If you have any questions feel free to start a post in the relevant section and our friendly members will help you out..

Lisa & Ali..

Last edited:
I think I will go and pop some more Hay in there then too.

It's funny you should say that about 2 Hideaway Houses - I've gone to check on them and one is in the house and the other is hiding behind it in the corner so I'm going to pop up to the pet shop for another one before it shuts, only thing is should I keep one in the sleeping area and one outside of it? I don't think I'd fit 2 in the side bit as the 1 I bought already is quite a big one for 2 Guineas?

When it comes to cleaning the cage, my understanding is once a week a proper clean down with disinfectant, however, when it comes to the daily upkeep what do you actually do? Do you remove all Hay and Sawdust and replace with new stuff? Also, should I be using any other sort of bedding for them or is Hay fine?

No names yet, need to get our thinking caps on...

Hi and welcome!

Great tips already! Please make sure that the hutch is well insulated, especially if your piggies are youngsters and not yet used to outdoors life. Spring and autumn when the day/night temperature fluctuation is highest is the most difficult time.

Please use wood shavings or one of the wood free alternatives (you can find that in our housing section); sawdust can cause respiratory problems. You will need an underlay like lino that will keep any pee from penetrating into the wood.

If you need a spare hidey for outside, a hay filled carboard box is a good idea. Your boys will have to establish their own hierarchy in their new home and one of the things that come with it is that the underpiggy gets chucked out of the best house and from the best bowl - top piggy has first choice, even if they will snuggle up together at some point.
Here is our boar guide: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/
You can find more information at the top of the various Care sections.

PS: With members from all over the world, it would be very helpful if you added your country, state or (UK) your county, so we can suggest appropriate products etc. and give relevant advice straight away and without time consuming misunderstandings. Click on your username on the top bar, then go personal details/location.

Thanks for all the advice, I've updated my location now. Sorry about the sawdust confusion - I am using wood shavings I just got confused and called it sawdust...

I have been to the pet shop and bought another hideaway so both piggies are both happily hiding now.

I am a bit unsure about whether to have them indoors or outdoors. At the moment they are inside, however, we had planned for them to be outdoors. The pet shop said not to put them outside until June and bring them in before October but others have told me differently. I think I'd like to put them in the shed for extra security as I worry about foxes and cats. I bought a cover for the hutch that is weather resistant but still feel bad about putting them outside :(

Please keep them indoors until the end of the night frosts - treat your piggies like tender plants as they are not used to the outdoors and the temperature swings will make them more liable to come down with respiratory or urinary tract infections! Once they have been accustomed to the outdoors then they may get by with suitable protection in the shed. You can find out more about that in our housing section.

However, having your piggies away from the house in winter will impact on your interaction - you will by nature get more out of them the more often you see and talk to them. It is no fun going out to the shed in the dark, the wet or ice, never mind cleaning them out...

Thanks for all the advice, I've updated my location now. Sorry about the sawdust confusion - I am using wood shavings I just got confused and called it sawdust...

I have been to the pet shop and bought another hideaway so both piggies are both happily hiding now.

I am a bit unsure about whether to have them indoors or outdoors. At the moment they are inside, however, we had planned for them to be outdoors. The pet shop said not to put them outside until June and bring them in before October but others have told me differently. I think I'd like to put them in the shed for extra security as I worry about foxes and cats. I bought a cover for the hutch that is weather resistant but still feel bad about putting them outside :(

As it's a lot cooler up here, the advice about putting them outside is about right, June to September. We find that's about it for us, regarding garden run time, as the grass is either too wet or cold for them outside of those months.. In a shed for extra security is a good idea, some of our members keep them in a heated shed with insulation all year round, but don't think they get the quite as low temperatures we get up here..

Yeah that's what I thought they're only 2 months old so hate the thought of them getting cold outside. I will see how it goes once they're out in the summer and look at the possibility of taking steps to make it warmer for them outside if we decide to keep them out there. I like to watch them though so it would be a shame to have them outside all the time.

I couldn't have guinea pigs outside, I love mine wheeking demanding veggies when I open the fridge door, and watching him popcorn around :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back