New Guinea Pigs Scared

SwanDaSean

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got my two guinea pigs today from an animal rescue, I have a 2x4 C&C Cage for them, but they have been in the little hideout corner for the past two hours with barely any movements, they are both male and 8 months old, should I be concerned about it? How should I change this situation, will feeding them veggies help?

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I have included a link to the new owner informational guide. I found it really helpful when I first started with my guinea pigs.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

I wouldn't be too concerned about them wanting to hide from you. I foster guinea pigs for a rescue and most of the piggies are completely terrified when they come to my house. I normally keep things a bit quieter (as quiet as I can with three young children in the house!) and cover part of their cage with a blanket so they feel a bit secure. Before I come into there room, I start talking to them and let them know I am coming in. It will take your piggies a little while to come around and feel a bit more comfortable.

Good luck with your new piggies!

Welcome to the forum

This is very normal. New piggies will be scared. Cover part of their cage and leave them to settle in. Just give hay, food and water, spot clean but otherwise leave them for a week. Speak around them so they get used to hearing you.
In the second week, start to sit by their cage and talk to them. Then start to offer veg from your hand to them. When they take food it’s a sign they are starting to trust you but how long it takes will vary.
It can take weeks to months for them to fully settle in so patience is key with piggies. Slow and steady and following their pace with how much interaction they want.

You will need to obviously keep their cage clean and weigh them weekly which can be tricky when they are new and not wanting to be handled but this guide below (as well as the new owner link added in above) can help

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for your reply, my guinea pigs hasn't drink any water since yesterday though, is it because they don't know how to use the water bottle or is it just because they're scared?

Hello, thanks for your reply, my guinea pigs hasn't drink any water since yesterday though, is it because they don't know how to use the water bottle or is it just because they're scared?

Probably because they are still settling in but we can’t know if they don’t know how to use a bottle though - what did they use at the rescue centre?

If they eat their vegetables then they will be getting water from them.
Ensure you have multiple bottles around the cage

Time and patience, plus food, are the key.
Being prey animals guinea pigs are naturally shy.
When my Phoebe first came she took several weeks before she stopped running for cover if anyone came near.

Do you have a blanket or anything over the cage? It can help them feel more confident and you can gradually move it off over the next week or two.

Their behaviour is normal and so is your response xx

Sounds very normal it can take months to win them round and even then they will probably sill be jumpy x

Back