New Guinea Pigs don’t like each other

RedRobin23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently adopted 2 boys from a rescue centre, they are about 3 years old. They seem to spend most of their time at opposite end of the cage. When they do get too close to one another one growls and the other runs away. A few times they have lunged at each other seemingly nipping the air. They have a big cage (3X4 C&C) so lots of space to get away from each other and 2 of everything. Is this normal? Is there anything else I can do?

The other thing is they both have quite red back feet. I’m worried about Bumblefoot. They both have a wellness check with a vet nurse booked for Saturday (so 4 days away). Is it ok for them to wait that long? I can’t seem to get an earlier appointment

They're probably establishing dominance in their new home. I wouldn't worry unless they start properly fighting. It helps to give them two of everything, bowls, bottles etc and hides with two entrances as well if you haven't done that already.
With regards to their red feet, as long as they're not bleeding or ulcerated, and there's no open wounds I should think they'll be fine until Saturday. Just make sure you keep their bedding nice and clean and dry ☺️

:agr:

How long have you had them?
They need to reestablish their relationship in any new environment and this takes around two weeks.

Don’t be disconcerted by the fact they aren’t close together, it is very normal for piggies to not cuddle together, that in itself is not a sign of a problematic bond.
You only need to step in if there is a full fight; otherwise leave them to get on with it.

Bumblefoot is open wounds on the foot pad and swelling. Red feet can just be because they are warm

We’ve had them since Saturday so not long at all. I’m also a bit worried about how much time they seem to be spending in one place without much moving around. One piggy seems to like lying in the hay treat cube thing and the other thing in the litter tray or his hidey. They both seem very confident - both allow you to hand feed and stroke themselves. One comes up to you squeaking when you come into the room so I don’t think they are scared.

On their back heels it looks like their could be an open wound on both piggy’s feet. There is a little brown patch. I can’t get close enough to have a look at it properly on either. The first day we had them I thought it could just be stepped in poo maybe but it doesn’t seem to be falling off either of them.

Will a vet nurse be able to see if there is any problem? Or do I need to try and upgrade to a vet appointment.

They are on fleece bedding which I’m spot cleaning twice daily. They have 2 hides, water bottles and food bowls. Both hides have 2 entrances and exits.

We’ve had them since Saturday so not long at all. I’m also a bit worried about how much time they seem to be spending in one place without much moving around. One piggy seems to like lying in the hay treat cube thing and the other thing in the litter tray or his hidey. They both seem very confident - both allow you to hand feed and stroke themselves. One comes up to you squeaking when you come into the room so I don’t think they are scared.

On their back heels it looks like their could be an open wound on both piggy’s feet. There is a little brown patch. I can’t get close enough to have a look at it properly on either. The first day we had them I thought it could just be stepped in poo maybe but it doesn’t seem to be falling off either of them.

Will a vet nurse be able to see if there is any problem? Or do I need to try and upgrade to a vet appointment.

They are on fleece bedding which I’m spot cleaning twice daily. They have 2 hides, water bottles and food bowls. Both hides have 2 entrances and exits.

They may not be showing signs of being desperately scared ie hiding but they are likely to be a bit disconcerted - new environment etc. They still need to settle in.

Quite normal for them to be sitting about provided they are having times of being active. Piggies are crepuscular so are most active during early morning and evening. They tend to spend their less active day and night times sitting and sleeping interspersed with periods of foraging.
At 3 years old they aren’t young so you may not see lots of running about. I have four piggies - two five year olds and two 8 month olds and the difference in activity level is very stark. You forget how active babies are when you have older adults!

A nurse should be able to tell if there are open wounds and should seek vet advice for any worries.

Thanks guys - I have a new question if that’s ok. Hopefully I don’t sound too daft - is it ok that both boys seem quite solitary and occupy opposite ends of the cage 99% of the time? I worry they aren’t getting the benefits of living together if they don’t actually like each other? I know they are new and need to settle, but the rescue also said that although they don’t fight exactly they mostly keep out of each other’s way?

Thanks guys - I have a new question if that’s ok. Hopefully I don’t sound too daft - is it ok that both boys seem quite solitary and occupy opposite ends of the cage 99% of the time? I worry they aren’t getting the benefits of living together if they don’t actually like each other? I know they are new and need to settle, but the rescue also said that although they don’t fight exactly they mostly keep out of each other’s way?

It’s absolutely fine. They are still interacting through scent and body language. You only need to worry if there is a fight

To add, my bonded pair, when they were younger, would never be found in the same hide and were almost always away from each other (they would probably only come together around a hay pile). Their bond has always been very good.

Now they are elderly gentlemen and are much more about companionship than dominance, they are more likely to be found much closer to each other but they still don’t cuddle (which is very normal).

Of all of my boars, I've only ever had a few that actually want to be around each other all of the time. They even used to share a bed! My current boars tend to do their own thing and sleep in their own spaces. I just have two elderly ones that will sleep in the same hay pile together.
As long as boars aren't fighting, they are quite happy doing their own thing. Just make sure you have plenty of everything (multiple hay piles, hides, beds etc)

They are absolutely still getting the benefit, even if you can't tell by looking at them. Guinea pigs are always aware of where each other are, all the time, and they get reassurance and satisfaction from knowing where their cage mate is. They also are quite vocal communicators, they often talk quietly to each other without being anywhere near each other. If you hear a guinea pig walking about quietly going "boop boop boop" - it's communicating where it is so its family doesn't lose touch with it.

Guinea pigs don't have the same body language or ways of expressing themselves as we are used to from other pets, and although some long-bonded pigs can be very affectionate, in general I would describe guinea pig bonding as a relationship of affection. It's more of a desperate need for company, because without it they feel unsafe.

Our pigs are desperately fond of each other, but unless you know them well, you wouldn't know it. They interact far more often by ignoring each other, pulling rank, bickering or being deliberately annoying than by being lovey-dovey. But when they had to be separated, they were distraught.

Guinea pigs don't need to cuddle up to know that they like each other. Nipping is quite common If a piggy nips its a dominance thing. It's carefully aimed and doesn't hurt. It just says to the other piggy "I'm in charge and don't you forget it". Loud wheaking that sounds quite distressing to us is the other piggy saying "I know you're the boss". You haven't had your piggies for very long. Let them settle for a couple of weeks and as long as there isn't a full on fight they will be fine. (As an aside, NEVER separate fighting piggies with your bare hands, throw in a towel or oven gloves to distract them then take one of the piggies out of the situation.)

Thank you all. I’ve tried to get a photo of Jellybean’s foot. Taking them both to the vet tomorrow so hopefully will get some answers anyway. But does this look like Bumblefoot? Or anything else I need to worry about? Both of them have very similar looking back feet.

Attachments

• C2CA8E04-8978-40F9-9CE6-96F22366ACA9.webp
    C2CA8E04-8978-40F9-9CE6-96F22366ACA9.webp
    119.1 KB · Views: 17
Thank you all. I’ve tried to get a photo of Jellybean’s foot. Taking them both to the vet tomorrow so hopefully will get some answers anyway. But does this look like Bumblefoot? Or anything else I need to worry about? Both of them have very similar looking back feet.

We need to be able to see the bottom of the door.

Just red coloured feet is not bumblefoot.
Bumblefoot is open wounds and swollen patches on the foot pad

Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis

Back