New Guinea pigs came home yesterday -how does this look

Newpiggiemum77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,
We adopted two sows from a lovely rescue centre yesterday. They are auntie (around a year) and niece (around 4 months)
Take and happy to be handled although we are giving them space as all new to them and they are currently in hiding.
We have a 4x2 C&C and I’d like to get the loft also.
Using fleece and bobble bath mats on top although this am the fleece is that wet it’s gone through to the correx (is this a normal amount of wee or newbie nervous wee!)l?)
I’m conscious of not making the space too cluttered but also having enough in there for stimulation/enrichment etc
I have an idea trofast box that I was going to use as a hay box but I feel it’ll take a lot of space up currently?
Got meadow hay for play comfort and burgess feeding hay for feeding.
Burgess nuggets with mint which I am slowly mixing with their current food (they’ve picked out all the new burgess and left the old!)

Any advice welcomed ☺️

(I can’t currently add a photo?)

Hi there and welcome!
To add photos, use the “attach files” button at the bottom of the text box and it will then go to the photos on your device that you can select and add.
Do you have an absorbent layer under the fleece? I use puppy pads or newspaper to absorb the wee once it’s gone through the fleece. Guinea pigs produce a lot of wee!

Hi and thank you. I have the 4 later fleece but I will also now put puppy pads under this! 🙃 *off to B&M*

Would the hay tray be a good addition or take up too much space?

Attachments

• IMG_1125.webp
    IMG_1125.webp
    104.3 KB · Views: 29
Welcome to the forum

Yes you need something absorbent underneath the fleece. The idea is the fleece wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer. The fleece dries and the absorbent layer locks the urine away.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Hay tray is absolutely fine. It’s best that access to hay isn’t restricted by racks or bags. They like to be able to get right into big piles of hay and forage through it, play in it, sleep in it.

I would recommend though that you check the amount of pellets you are feeding - it looks like there is a lot in the bowl. They only need just one tablespoon per pig per day (with the burgess pellets it amounts to 6g per pig per day).
Also, cut down the amount of carrot. It should be one very thin slice as an occasional treat (no more than once a week). It is too high in sugar and shouldn’t be a regular part of their diet.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you.
I was told to fill the bowl and go give carrot daily/several times a week so I will amend this!

The fleeces are the “waterproof” 4 layer fleece with the waterproof bottom but I can see now how additional is needed.

Would you just have hay on top of the fleece then?
I’ve noticed the burgess feeding hay is tiny strands and different to meadow hay (that I use for the gerbils burrows) so if the piggies were to burrow/play in it it needs to be more like the meadow hay consistency?

Tia all advice so helpful x

Welcome to the forum

Yes you need something absorbent underneath the fleece. The idea is the fleece wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer. The fleece dries and the absorbent layer locks the urine away.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Hay tray is absolutely fine. It’s best that access to hay isn’t restricted by racks or bags. They like to be able to get right into big piles of hay and forage through it, play in it, sleep in it.

I would recommend though that you check the amount of pellets you are feeding - it looks like there is a lot in the bowl. They only need just one tablespoon per pig per day (with the burgess pellets it amounts to 6g per pig per day).
Also, cut down the amount of carrot. It should be one very thin slice as an occasional treat (no more than once a week). It is too high in sugar and shouldn’t be a regular part of their diet.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you.
I was told to fill the bowl and go give carrot daily/several times a week so I will amend this!

The fleeces are the “waterproof” 4 layer fleece with the waterproof bottom but I can see now how additional is needed.

Would you just have hay on top of the fleece then?
I’ve noticed the burgess feeding hay is tiny strands and different to meadow hay (that I use for the gerbils burrows) so if the piggies were to burrow/play in it it needs to be more like the meadow hay consistency?

Tia all advice so helpful x

Oh right, that’s not correct feeding advice.
Too many pellets will contribute to reduced/lack of hay intake which can lead to dental and gut problems as well as unhealthy weight gain. Pellets can also contribute too much calcium into the diet (most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and using unfiltered drinking water) which can lead to bladder problems and stone formation.
Too much carrot is too much sugar which can cause an overgrowth of the wrong kind of gut bacteria and then digestive problems and soft poops/diarrhoea, also unhealthy weight gain.

If they have waterproof bottom then technically no other absorbent layer is needed. However it sounds as if they have failed if the correx is getting wet. Also, with the waterproof bottom layer types of fleece liner, users can find they smell more quickly and don’t always dry on the top layer properly.

Also, did you wick them all before use? They need to be washed around three times before going in the cages.

I would recommend you put the hay in a tray rather than just on the fleece - but the idea is that it is loose. The hay will stick to the fleece and will be a pain to clean and in your washing machine.

You want a nice long stranded hay. They don’t technically need the feeding hay at all - juat meadow hay is absolutely fine on its own.
I personally use meadow hay and orchard hay.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new piggies.

I use a horse wash bag for my piggies’ fleecy tunnels.
I can’t cope with fleece as a base so use wood shavings but the wash bag does save the washing machine from the hay and other bits that get stuck in the tunnels

I use fleece occasionally, and put puppy pads down under the non waterproof liners.
I prefere to use aubiose,disposable bedding.with fleece tunnels and houses.lots of hay piles
Good luck with your new piggies.

I use newspaper between the correx and fleece/bobble mats. Quick and easy to recycle, I do have a hay tray (cat litter tray) but my two prefer big loose piles directly on the fleece. Hay will stick to fleece. I use a brush to get the worst off, shake out then wash in a horse wash bag like @Merab's Slave. Enjoy your new piggies ❤️

Thank you.
I’ve bought puppy pads and will get a stick of newspapers.
I’ve bought a 60cm under bed storage box and cut the front pit and filled with hay but I think I’m leaning to substrate bedding in order to satisfy the constant hay ✔️
Horse bag is my next purchase!
M thank you x
I use newspaper between the correx and fleece/bobble mats. Quick and easy to recycle, I do have a hay tray (cat litter tray) but my two prefer big loose piles directly on the fleece. Hay will stick to fleece. I use a brush to get the worst off, shake out then wash in a horse wash bag like @Merab's Slave. Enjoy your new piggies ❤️

Hello and welcome
Hay is the most important thing in the cage and keeps your ho’s teeth and gum healthy. You can never give too much. Buy a cat litter tray to pop it in or large seed tray

Thanks. I’ve been out and bought a large 65cm x 40 storage box, cut an entrance in the front and filled with hay!

Hello and welcome
Hay is the most important thing in the cage and keeps your ho’s teeth and gum healthy. You can never give too much. Buy a cat litter tray to pop it in or large seed tray

Back