New Guinea pig?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 155334
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 155334

Hi,

I have two male Guinea pigs around 9 months old. We previously had an older male who bonded with both but when our other two got older, one of them started fighting with our older one. The older one unfortunately passed away back in February 😢. However, I was wondering if we could introduce a female into our group (provided we neuter them) or another male. The new one would be around 2 months.

Any help would be great :)

Hi,

I have two male Guinea pigs around 9 months old. We previously had an older male who bonded with both but when our other two got older, one of them started fighting with our older one. The older one unfortunately passed away back in February 😢. However, I was wondering if we could introduce a female into our group (provided we neuter them) or another male. The new one would be around 2 months.

Any help would be great :)

The random gap was a sad face emoji btw

I’m sorry for your loss and welcome to the forum

As you have two boars you cannot add any other piggies in with them at all. Boar pairs must be kept as just a boar pair.

If you attempt to neuter and add a female in with them it will cause the two boys to fight with each other over the female. You would then have to separate them.

Three boars together, as you have already found, does not work. Boars find it very hard to function if you try to put more than two together. If you attempt to add a third boar it will also mean you end up having to separate them (either into a pair and a single, or at worst it can ruin all bonds and you end up with three single piggies) when fights occur again.

Your only option to have more piggies is to keep a totally separate boar pair in a separate cage. (Never letting the four of them interact)
You also would be advise to not bring any females into the room; even if the females live in a different cage. The smell of females in the same room can also cause your current two boys to fight simply over smelling a female.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

I’m sorry for your loss and welcome to the forum

As you have two boars you cannot add any other piggies in with them at all. Boar pairs must be kept as just a boar pair.
If you neuter and add a female in with them it will cause the two boys to fight with each other over the female. You would then have to separate them.
Three boars together, as you have already found, causes them to fight as well. Boars find it very hard to function if you try to put more than two together. If you attempt to add a third boar it will also mean you end up having to separate them when fights occur again.

Your only option to have more piggies is to keep a totally separate boar pair in a separate cage. (Never letting the four of them interact)
You also would be advise to not bring any females into the room; even if the females live in a different cage. The smell of females in the same room can also cause your current two boys to fight simply over smelling a female.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Thanks for the advise! Kinda sad that I can’t add another but if it is best for my current piggies then of course I won’t.

The only other possibility, which I should have added into my previous reply, is to neuter both your boys, separate them and then give them a female each in two separate cages.

This is the only issue with keeping boars - It’s impossible to have a herd.
With that said, boars are truly wonderful! I am a boar owner and will only ever be a boar owner. They tend to become friendlier and more affectionate as they become older.

The only other possibility, which I should have added into my previous reply, is to neuter both your boys, separate them and then give them a female each in two separate cages.

With that said, boars are truly wonderful! I am a boar owner and will only ever be a boar owner. They tend to become friendlier and more affectionate as they become older.
I hadn’t thought of that…my Guinea pigs now are very close so it would be a shame to split them up. I am also unable to buy Guinea pigs myself as I’m too young and my parents have said no more than 3, so that’s not an option unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion! :)

I hadn’t thought of that…my Guinea pigs now are very close so it would be a shame to split them up. I am also unable to buy Guinea pigs myself as I’m too young and my parents have said no more than 3,

If I did neuter both of them I presume they would still fight over a female though, or would they not? I am just asking because there is a Guinea pig I have seen for sale, but I am currently unsure of the gender. Also, would neutering them affect their behaviour with other males? Sorry for all the questions…

I hadn’t thought of that…my Guinea pigs now are very close so it would be a shame to split them up. I am also unable to buy Guinea pigs myself as I’m too young and my parents have said no more than 3, so that’s not an option unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion! :)

If you are too young to buy them yourself, then I assume you are under 18?

If you are too young to buy them yourself, then I assume you are under 18?
I am is that not allowed? If it’s not is there a way to delete the account? Sorry… 😢 I have seen posts by people younger than 18 so I assumed it was ok…

I hadn’t thought of that…my Guinea pigs now are very close so it would be a shame to split them up. I am also unable to buy Guinea pigs myself as I’m too young and my parents have said no more than 3,

If I did neuter both of them I presume they would still fight over a female though, or would they not? I am just asking because there is a Guinea pig I have seen for sale, but I am currently unsure of the gender. Also, would neutering them affect their behaviour with other males? Sorry for all the questions…

You would have to separate the two boys to be able to put one of them with the female. You must never put a female in the cage with two boys together.

Neutering does not change their behaviour with other males. All neutering does is prevent pregnancy
You still cannot put three males together even if they are neutered - they will still fight

I am is that not allowed? If it’s not is there a way to delete the account? Sorry… 😢 I have seen posts by people younger than 18 so I assumed it was ok…

The terms and conditions you agreed to state you must be 18 to open account.
The age limit used to be lower so if you see posts made by people younger than 18 they will be old posts. The age limit is 18 to comply with uk law.

Your account will now be closed but you can still read all the guides on the forum as a non-member - including the two green links I added to this thread detailing what can and cannot be done when adding piggies.
In short, I’m sorry to say you cannot add any other piggies in with your two boys in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back