New Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazeefiend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, today my guinea pig that didn't pass away (Fungal infection) Has been given the all clear of any more illness. The vet said to wait another 3-4 weeks to get another one. Should I follow his advice? only thing I'm worried about is that if I wait. Ludo will claim the cage as his own and will fight with the other one.. What should I do?

That's totally up to you but if you do get another one now and the infection re occurs can you afford to treat 2 and do you have the time to treat 2? Where are you planning to get the New Guinea pig from? If it's from the petshop then I'd wait because if he's just getting over a fungal infection his immune system might be abit low and he could easily pick something up off the New Guinea pig

That's totally up to you but if you do get another one now and the infection re occurs can you afford to treat 2 and do you have the time to treat 2? Where are you planning to get the New Guinea pig from? If it's from the petshop then I'd wait because if he's just getting over a fungal infection his immune system might be abit low and he could easily pick something up off the New Guinea pig
There is a rescue just down the road. I do have plenty of money and time, I am disabled so I spend all of my time at home with my pets. Thank you for your input :)

Your welcome :) you could always ask the rescue what they think. I know how frustrating it is when you have to wait out the introduction, and you feel like they are getting lonely.

Yea I would certainly start getting in touch with the rescue, even if they recommend you wait another 2 weeks I'm sure it will go quicker if you start things moving along now.
Although I hate to say this they will probably ew omens you follow vet instructions

Hello

Very sorry for the loss of your piggy :(

You will have to do a neutral introduction anyway and clean the cage out fully so it is a neutral cage free from piggy smells etc...

these threads give you an idea on how to bond and settle piggies

Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Companionship
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Sow Behaviour
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

It wont hurt to get the wheels in motion by getting in touch with the rescue and sounding them out for a friend, it often takes a couple of weeks to get everything sorted.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back