• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Guinea pig swollen feet

ellieclements

New Born Pup
Reaction score
0F57CEE8-0573-41BC-9B72-6959B369DCB0.webp
Hi guys, yesterday I got two lovely girls called Maeve and Margo, I got them from a lady who said they were very loved and well taken care of but now I have them I can see that’s not really the truth :( they came with claws so long they intertwined with each other and their feet look swollen.

22B44601-A2D5-4631-9FA1-14223D112070.webp
b2503dcc-ab02-4f7c-8f94-149a9fc46aa6-jpeg.142776

I’ve already done my google research, and I know it does look like Bumblefoot, but it isn’t scabbed or anything. Maeve has hard lumps on the back of her feet that you can see in the pic, almost like blisters, and it looks like she’s developing spurs too. I have had guinea pigs before who never had this so I don’t know what to do.

I know the easier option is to take them to the vets, and I have called many who have said they aren’t treating small animals, I have to pay a £200 consultation fee as they aren’t already registered, and just given me home advice instead (to change their bedding).

Does anyone know what I can do because it seems I can get to a vet any time soon. She’s very quiet and timid, her sister Margo is more friendly but it looks like it’s developing on her feet too.

Is there any way of me treating it at home, or at least helping her feel more comfortable until we can finally find a vet that will have a look at them. I’ve heard about doing Epsom salt soaks if anyone knows about that?

And finally is there anything anyone would recommend for a general clean up of them to make sure they’re a bit healthier. I’ve only had them since 6pm yesterday and just feel so sorry for the poor things :( but so glad they’re in a good home now.
Thank you in advance! Any advice on anything is welcome

Attachments

• B2503DCC-AB02-4F7C-8F94-149A9FC46AA6.webp
    B2503DCC-AB02-4F7C-8F94-149A9FC46AA6.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi and welcome

I can see spurs on the feet but the pads do not look swollen or sore to me. The spurs are not such that they need any attention; they are very common dead skin growths. Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

Here is our recommended vets locator: Rescue Locator (You can also find it on the top bar.)

Gorgeous girls, though!

Hello and welcome. The feet just look like they’ve had a bit of a hard life on rough floors. I agree with Wiebke it doesn’t look like Bumblefoot. If you can keep them clean and dry on fleece or vet bed that will help their feet a little.
As for freshening them up, (and having taken in many piggies I can empathise as they can come with an aroma all of their own that needs more than just a change of bedding) you could try a simple shampoo designed for small pets - Johnson’s small pet shampoo Johnson's Small Animal Shampoo 125ml - From £1.92 is a good first shampoo. You can get it in most pet shops including P@H. In the longer term you might want to invest in some Gorgeous Guineas shampoo Gorgeous Guineas - Aromatherapy skincare products for guinea pigs - you can order online.
If they have dirty matted fir, you can cut small mats out with scissors, and a tidy up round the rear end is often a good idea.
We do have a guide to bathing and also to trimming
Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

Back