New Guinea Pig parent

TheLittlePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research before I adopted my little piggy girl and she’s perfect, the only problem I am having is her begging alllll day long lol, I forage for her, and she eats in the morning and evening, she gets whatever I foraged for her and a small teaspoon of her pellets. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be feeding her more? Should I add vegetables to her dish too? I feel so bad bc she acts like she is starving.

Hay is the most important part of their diet and makes up at least 80% of it. Then a portion of veg a day and a tablespoon of pellets.

Do be careful not to give her something every time she begs. Try fluffing up her hay or refreshing/topping it up. If you give her something every time she begs then it will become a habit.

How old is she and does she have a friend to live with? They are very social and need constant companionship of their own kind.

Oh yes I have hay for her at all times, I make sure not to feed her when she begs just in the morning and in the evening I want to say she’s a few months they didn’t really know when I adopted her and she doesn’t have a tank mate but I am going back to adopt one of her tank mates bc I am just finding out they do better in pairs or more which they never told me that when I got her

I just gave her ribwort, some butter bib, green bell pepper, like 1cup, and some pellets and of course her hay and I walk by with a bag of chips and she starts begging the second she hears that bag

Just have a little chat with her and has been suggested fluff up her hay etc
Welcome to TGPF 🥰
We’d love to see a photo of her - what is her name ?

She is super sweet and love’s attention and food lol, she comes right up when I put my hand down in her cage and hops right on my hand telling me you can pick me now

Another thing I am concerned with is bedding currently I use paper bedding and I see everyone else uses fleece blankets is that better bc I’ve been hearing her sneeze the past few days

It is recommended to use fleece, but I use aspen wood shavings and it works fine, just make sure that it’s dust-free and you clean it at least once a week (I spot clean occasionally)!

Another thing I am concerned with is bedding currently I use paper bedding and I see everyone else uses fleece blankets is that better bc I’ve been hearing her sneeze the past few days

Occasional sneezing isn't a problem. Bedding is more personal choice and whilst we have a lot of members with fleece bedding, it's not that it's recommended as such, it just works for a lot of people. Dust extracted hay and bedding is important though to help keep airways clear

Welcome to the forum

Definitely get her a friend. They are social animals and need to always be kept in pairs. Make sure you check the sexes of both piggies yourself to ensure you are getting two females. Sorry to say, if they didn’t tell something as important as they must be kept in pairs, I wouldn’t rely on them giving you the correct information on their sex.

Make sure when you get her a friend that you bond them properly - this needs to be done on neutral territory. You can’t just put a new piggy straight in her cage. They need to be in a neutral bonding pen for several hours while they go through acceptance, you clean down the cage and then move them to the cage if all goes well in the bonding pen.

The guide explains the full process.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Also make sure the cage is big enough for two. For two females it is a minimum of 120x60cm but 150x60cm is better.

In terms of her begging - she is training you to give into her! It’s what they do!
What enrichment does she have in her cage (even more important during the time she is alone)?
Something like not using bowls and instead throwing the veg and pellets onto a big pile of hay will allow her to use her brain and forage for them rather than it just being a case of sitting at a bowl which takes no thought.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Fleece is not recommended over any other type bedding - bedding is a personal preference and you can use whichever works for you.
Make sure any disposable bedding and the hay are dust extracted though.
I use disposable beddings (I’ve tried many over the years!) and then top them with hay.

I mean the more you feed them the more they beg! They will always act like they're starving. Give her a healthy amount of food and then accept that she'll still beg for more!

I agree the #1 priority is to get her a companion, she needs social interaction and she can't get it all from you.

Constant begging is part of guinea pigs‘ slave training techniques.
Mine shout for food every time someone comes down the stairs, opens the fridge, opens the front door, chops vegetables………….

A guinea pig is an appetite with fur - starving is their default condition!

Pig is very beautiful 😍

Welcome to the forum

Definitely get her a friend. They are social animals and need to always be kept in pairs. Make sure you check the sexes of both piggies yourself to ensure you are getting two females. Sorry to say, if they didn’t tell something as important as they must be kept in pairs, I wouldn’t rely on them giving you the correct information on their sex.

Make sure when you get her a friend that you bond them properly - this needs to be done on neutral territory. You can’t just put a new piggy straight in her cage. They need to be in a neutral bonding pen for several hours while they go through acceptance, you clean down the cage and then move them to the cage if all goes well in the bonding pen.

The guide explains the full process.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Also make sure the cage is big enough for two. For two females it is a minimum of 120x60cm but 150x60cm is better.

In terms of her begging - she is training you to give into her! It’s what they do!
What enrichment does she have in her cage (even more important during the time she is alone)?
Something like not using bowls and instead throwing the veg and pellets onto a big pile of hay will allow her to use her brain and forage for them rather than it just being a case of sitting at a bowl which takes no thought.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Fleece is not recommended over any other type bedding - bedding is a personal preference and you can use whichever works for you.
Make sure any disposable bedding and the hay are dust extracted though.
I use disposable beddings (I’ve tried many over the years!) and then top them with hay.
That’s a great idea about the no bowl I am definitely going to try that and I have a few little chew toys and a log that I stuff with hay and I do have this little board you hide a treat under and she has to move the little pieces around to get to the treat

That’s a great idea about the no bowl I am definitely going to try that and I have a few little chew toys and a log that I stuff with hay and I do have this little board you hide a treat under and she has to move the little pieces around to get to the treat

That’s good, things that keep her thinking are good.
Do make sure that she has free, unhindered access to big piles of hay (not just the hay stuffed in the log)

So even if I get one of her tank mates from the pet shop I will have to do the introduction process? Sorry I am new to this and even after all the research I am still learning bc I read that they do better in pairs but when I asked the lady at the pet shop I just took her word for it

So even if I get one of her tank mates from the pet shop I will have to do the introduction process? Sorry I am new to this and even after all the research I am still learning bc I read that they do better in pairs but when I asked the lady at the pet shop I just took her word for it
Yes you will have to reintroduce, the guide is great for how to go about this.
We are all always learning, I have owned piggies for quite a few years and I am still learning everyday, you'll get the hang of it x

Good luck with the bonding, your girl is gorgeous :wub:

Yes you have to go through the full bonding process.
The whole process is explained in the guide, but roughly, they have to go through initial acceptance and start forming the hierarchy in the bonding pen. After that it then takes two weeks of permanently living together for them to fully form their relationship.

Yes you have to go through the full bonding process.
The whole process is explained in the guide, but roughly, they have to go through initial acceptance and start forming the hierarchy in the bonding pen. After that it then takes two weeks of permanently living together for them to fully form their relationship.
Thank you so much I am reading the guide now

Yes it’s a 60 gallon container no lid she is in temporarily the enclosure I ordered just came yesterday and I’m currently putting it together
Can I ask about the enclosure she is in? It looks like a plastic box?
I had bought a cage when I got her and put it together and it was so small so I had an older container I washed it out and she’s been in that until the new one came

I had bought a cage when I got her and put it together and it was so small so I had an older container I washed it out and she’s been in that until the new one came

I’m glad you’ve got her a better cage!
Don’t forget the minimum enclosure size for for two sows is 120x60cm.

Back