New Guinea Pig Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dionne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have just adopted two male guinea pigs today a lady was re-homing them, I have two daughters aged three and four I am looking for any tips/advice on how to make them feel safe and to help them settle in,
Thanks
X

They will just trust you & then you'll be fine.
Only thing I would say, is your children are very young to be near fragile guinea pigs, Please never allow your children in the same room as your piggies, unattended

Do u mean I should not let my children near them

Do you mean I should not let my children near them
No it's fine for them to see & stroke them as long as their is an adult in with them. Make sure the bedroom is locked. Children are fascinated by cute animals, their has been a case on the forum where a younger sister picked up a piggy & took him outside & the dog killed it. It's just a matter of being carefully. I always think it's good for children to have pets, they become very close, very quickly.

Recently bought two male guinea pigs but seem very shy and timid and run back into their bedroom area but today one has taken to laying down in cage and not in his bedroom does this mean he is now adapting and settling in his new home or should I be worried never had guinea pigs before so a bit unsure can any help thanks in advance.

Ok thank you! Of course I will get a lock for bedroom ASAP, I wouldn't leave them alone id be worried they would hurt the guinea pig, they are out there hidy hole and eating and lying about I'm thinking this is a good sign? X

Piggies are scared by sudden loud noises, so having peace and quiet is important while settling in especially. We lost one of our first guinea pigs when my normally sensible 8 year old daughter and her not so sensible friend were playing with the guinea pigs unsupervised (I was away, I hasten to add but wish I'd been home). Even sensible children can act stupidly when a friend is around and they work each other up into over-excitedness and they do things without thinking. It still upsets me. Daisy would come out into the front of the cage to be picked up, she was the friendliest piggy ever.

I'm really sorry to hear about your piggy :( I wouldn't leave them unsupervised but will get a lock to stop them going the room they r in just to be extra cautious

:wel: Hello Dionne, very nice of you to take in 2 guinea pigs that needed a new home :)

There's lots of advice & support on this forum when you want it, these might be a good read to start with...

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Children And Guinea Pigs - Age Appropriate Interaction And Responsibilities.

Some guinea pigs settle in much faster than others, but they are very food orientated so usually its not too hard to win even the shyest of them over with a bit of patience.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy settling them in & look forward to hearing more about your new boys :)

Ok thank you! Of course I will get a lock for bedroom ASAP, I wouldn't leave them alone id be worried they would hurt the guinea pig, they are out there hidy hole and eating and lying about I'm thinking this is a good sign? X

I think it's a very good sign that they're not hiding from you. Guinea pigs are quite quick to run and hide when they feel scared, so if they're out of their hidey holes already and lounging around that's pretty good going :)

Thank you! I'm very excited to have them am looking forward to bonding with them x

I find they are such cheerful little souls, it's almost impossible not to adore them :):wub::luv:

Have you named them yet?

Would be lovely to see a photo of them on here once they're settled if you didn't mind posting one, no pressure though :)

Yea I will post some pics :) yea my little girl is determined the black and brown one is called Matilda even tho he's a male and the white, brown and black is Milo, they are such little characters.

image.webp

Recently bought two male guinea pigs but seem very shy and timid and run back into their bedroom area but today one has taken to laying down in cage and not in his bedroom does this mean he is now adapting and settling in his new home or should I be worried never had guinea pigs before so a bit unsure can any help thanks in advance.
This should be a good sign, it's showing that he is starting to feel safe when un-sheltered and "vulnerable".

Thanks for replying there still unsure but stripey is now letting me stroke him in cage without running off still don't like being picked up but once picked up they settle and seem to enjoy there cuddles.

Thanks for replying there still unsure but stripey is now letting me stroke him in cage without running off still don't like being picked up but once picked up they settle and seem to enjoy there cuddles.
Have a watch of this video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back