New Guinea pig owner… again!

Chloe04

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
I had a pair of females a few years ago, Nancy & Tilly. Found this forum to be very helpful. Unfortunately I had to rehome the girls due to a situation out of my control, but they went to an incredible home with a lovely young family who live on a small farm.

Fast forward to now, we’re picking up a pair of boys in a few weeks time. Now I know I’ve had guineas before, but it feels like I’m starting from scratch again, so I need a refresher! Will be reading the other forums as well but I do have a couple of specific questions!

Is a 4x2 alright for two males to begin with? I am planning to expand when they’re a little older, but they’ll be 7 weeks when they arrive so they’ll still only be little.

Best places to shop for toys/hides/accessories? Places to buy fleece liners would be great, I’ve been looking at guinea dad liners but they’re pricey. Also toys/hides to avoid.

Which type of hay&nuggets? Looking at a subscription service for the hay, but there’s a few different types. Does variety matter much or is it guinea preference?

How long should I let them settle and leave them alone when they get home? And best way to transport them back home?

Edit: and anything I should know about having boys over girls? Health or behaviour wise.

Thanks!

Hay will ultimately be their preference, we can buy all the great expensive hay that's good for them and the enviroment that we want...but that doesn't mean they'll want to eat it, lol.

Size wise - if it's 4ft x 2ft, it's really not great, and you'll want expansion very quickly, like within the first week or so quickly. Boars like their space, but they really need their space too.

As for boar behaviour, heh. Boars can be absolute maniacs. Delightful, friendly, cheerful, but from experience, complete idiots (and I love them for it).

Hay will ultimately be their preference, we can buy all the great expensive hay that's good for them and the enviroment that we want...but that doesn't mean they'll want to eat it, lol.

Size wise - if it's 4ft x 2ft, it's really not great, and you'll want expansion very quickly, like within the first week or so quickly. Boars like their space, but they really need their space too.

As for boar behaviour, heh. Boars can be absolute maniacs. Delightful, friendly, cheerful, but from experience, complete idiots (and I love them for it).
Great, thank you!
It’s a 4 x 2 C&C cage sorry, should’ve specified! I have enough to expand an extra grid length with what I have but will probably order another pack anyway so I can make a playpen so will expand as soon as it arrives!

how exciting.... don't waste money on toys ! A good old cardboard box will do the trick - if you want to treat them - carrot cottages are great - they can nibble and hide all at the same time!

I buy my hay online from Natures own - always been ok (had a few bad bags but these were replaced when I complained) free delivery over £20.

Fleece liners can be pricey - I made my own for years and they lasted very well. Currently using ikea bath mats as just one piggy with me now - these wash and dry well and do the job.

how exciting.... don't waste money on toys ! A good old cardboard box will do the trick - if you want to treat them - carrot cottages are great - they can nibble and hide all at the same time!

I buy my hay online from Natures own - always been ok (had a few bad bags but these were replaced when I complained) free delivery over £20.

Fleece liners can be pricey - I made my own for years and they lasted very well. Currently using ikea bath mats as just one piggy with me now - these wash and dry well and do the job.
Oh Natures Own look fab! Looks like they do a lot of nice grazing boxes and things, gives me an excuse to get that free delivery 😉
I was thinking of making my own but really unsure about what to do about an absorbent layer inside? May go for something like bath mats until I’ve figured that part out

How exciting becoming a piggy slave again.
You may find some of the new owner & other information guides helpful as refreshers.
As others have said, a paper bag full of hay is great fun and the not too expensive carrot cottages or hay cubes provide hours of destructive fun.
We will look forward to seeing pictures of your new piggies

Congratulation! Exciting times for you. Well bonded boar pairs are cuddly, friendly, silly, daft and fantastic. Enjoy your little fellas x

How exciting! I love boars, I have a 4 year old pair myself.

A 4x2 c&c is rather on the small side for a boar pair. They need a 5x2 really. It doesn’t matter if they are physically small, their space needs and need for territory is already big.

The problem with planning to expand a later date is that boars are territorial and any change in environment will cause a new round of dominance (they reestablish their relationship in any new environment and changing cage size constitutes a change), which by the time an expansion happens, will likely be clashing with the onset of hormones and therefore has the potential to set yourself up for problems. They will be getting hormonal from 12-16 weeks of age so need to have enough space straight away. Misjudge the timing, and you run the risk of a space related fall out before you can do anything about it and if a full fall out occurs, their bond will be broken.
Boars are much better off to be in the right size cage from the very beginning so you don’t have to go through the issues with expansion and ‘boarsonalising’ at a later stage.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

How exciting! I love boars, I have a 4 year old pair myself.

A 4x2 c&c is rather on the small side for a boar pair. They need a 5x2 really. It doesn’t matter if they are physically small, their space needs and need for territory is already big.

The problem with planning to expand a later date is that boars are territorial and any change in environment will cause a new round of dominance (they reestablish their relationship in any new environment and changing cage size constitutes a change), which by the time an expansion happens, will likely be clashing with the onset of hormones and therefore has the potential to set yourself up for problems. They will be getting hormonal from 12-16 weeks of age so need to have enough space straight away. Misjudge the timing, and you run the risk of a space related fall out before you can do anything about it and if a full fall out occurs, their bond will be broken.
Boars are much better off to be in the right size cage from the very beginning so you don’t have to go through the issues with expansion and ‘boarsonalising’ at a later stage.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boar
That’s great thank you! I’m currently building their cage to be a 5x2, possibly with a 2x3 at the end of the extra grids arrive in time so fingers crossed!

Such excitement for you ! I buy my hay from Haybox - it’s the soft Timothy hay - you can set up a subscription but they do free taster boxes for your boys to try. They do forage packs as well. Piggies can be fussy and you will have get used to wasting a lot as they will pee and poo on it too. I have a compost bin and the hay/ poo and my veg peelings makes really good compost so nothing is wasted ! Individual pee pads are great as you can remove/ replace them daily. I bought some from a lady on Etsy and they’re great. Use distilled vinegar in place of conditioner after washing as it leaves no odours. Good luck 🥰

Very exciting times! Do post photos when they come home.

One thing I would strongly suggest you do is to double check that they’re both boars when you bring them home - or even when you go to pick them up. I am assuming that is one of the tricks up your sleeve given your previous years of piggy ownership

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

PS boars (all piggies really) are lovely. They just need (more) space and two of everything at least a body length apart. All else is the same as with all piggies.

Such excitement for you ! I buy my hay from Haybox - it’s the soft Timothy hay - you can set up a subscription but they do free taster boxes for your boys to try. They do forage packs as well. Piggies can be fussy and you will have get used to wasting a lot as they will pee and poo on it too. I have a compost bin and the hay/ poo and my veg peelings makes really good compost so nothing is wasted ! Individual pee pads are great as you can remove/ replace them daily. I bought some from a lady on Etsy and they’re great. Use distilled vinegar in place of conditioner after washing as it leaves no odours. Good luck 🥰
Oh amazing thank you! Will have a look at them, if they offer taster boxes that would be fab so I can at least get to know what they prefer before ordering.
Didn’t think to check Etsy! I’ll be on there hours now 😆 Thank you!

Back