New Guinea Pig Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

oreo4you

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have just got out first guinea pig today. I want to make sure We take the best care of him. His name is Oreo. I have been doing research all day. I am really confussed about the vegtable part. I know they need it for vitamin c and introduce one at a time. He has lots of hay. Do I give him fresh vegetables everyday every other day. Once a.day two times a day.I have a list.of good vegetables to.give.him but what does everyone feed yours?

They can have about 1 cup of vegetables per day. Some people give that in one go, so veggies once every day, other people (like myself), split it into two and give half a cup of veggies in the morning and half a cup in the evening.

When I wake up I top up their hay, give 1 tablespoon pellets, and half a cup of veg. When I get home from work in the evening I top up hay again, another 1 tablespoon pellets, half a cup of veg.

I also feed half a cup each (I have two) in the morning and half a cup each at night. And one tablespoon of pellets in the morning and one tablespoon at night even though I have read young piggies can have unlimited pellets until they are six months but I needed them to eat more hay so I cut back. And unlimited hay all day. I also cut all the veg into four pieces, it sounds nuts but I have a food hog but this prevents her from eating it all before her sister can get some. It's just something that works for them.

We have just got out first guinea pig today. I want to make sure We take the best care of him. His name is Oreo. I have been doing research all day. I am really confussed about the vegtable part. I know they need it for vitamin c and introduce one at a time. He has lots of hay. Do I give him fresh vegetables everyday every other day. Once a.day two times a day.I have a list.of good vegetables to.give.him but what does everyone feed yours?

Hi and welcome!

Please take the time to read our new owners Information bundle. You will find it very helpful as it addresses the most often asked for questions by new owners as well as some very important Information. The kit also contains our detailed diet guide with exact lists what you can feed how often and in what quantities.
Please be Aware that Guinea pigs are Group animals and not wired to live on their own without 24/7 Company.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

When it comes to hay, feed a good meadow hay - unlimited. We then also feed Timothy and orchard grass to mix things up for them and keep their interest. Hay should be unlimited

Change pellets and hay daily from the cage, we top our hay up twice a day and throw the old stuff out as they wee in it.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander or Parsley or Cabbage ( of some type)

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves, broccoli, carrot and a few other things occasionally

Have a read of this guide here Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Welcome to the forum

When it comes to hay, feed a good meadow hay - unlimited. We then also feed Timothy and orchard grass to mix things up for them and keep their interest. Hay should be unlimited

Change pellets and hay daily from the cage, we top our hay up twice a day and throw the old stuff out as they wee in it.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander or Parsley or Cabbage ( of some type)

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves, broccoli, carrot and a few other things occasionally

Have a read of this guide here Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Welcome to the forum
They do love the orchard grass dont they!

I bought (very expensive) Vitamin C drops that goes in my pigs water because they were having problems moving their back legs. Thankfully the Vitamin C drops worked as they are perfectly fine and running now. I cannot stress how important Vitamin C is for pigs!

They also have unlimited Timothy Hay, and pellets.

I give them (I have 3 boars) a "salad" once a week, with a veggie or apple treat everyday.

I use the same feeding schedule with my 6 rabbits as well.

Welcome! :D
I feed my two girls (I'm kinda new too, only had mine for almost a month!) unlimited hay every day (Timothy hay) one tablespoon of pellets for morning, & one in the evening. Veggies I give once per day after I get off work. Red bell peppers are good (lots of vitamin c).
A treat occasionally, along with romaine lettuce, celery & apple. There's a big list of stuff that's safe in the Food section here I'm sure too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back