New Guinea Pig Introduction To Queso -- Aggressive Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMommy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We finally are able to adopt a new pig.

Queso, our pig we've had for a few months, is 3 years old and has been very comfortable and happy since we got him. His previous owner just informed me that he can try to be the boss in the last duo he was in.

Salsa, the new guinea pig we just got, is 2 years old. His previous owner tells me that she tried to put him in the cage with her other guinea pig and there was a scuffle that resulted in an injury. However, she did not try to properly introduce the pigs.

Our plan is to keep Salsa for a few days to help him get accustomed to us then introduce him in a new environment to Queso. We may even bathe them together and if they get along, put them in a newly cleaned and rearranged cage.

I'm just wondering, should I be overly concerned that they won't get along? My biggest fear is something will happen to Queso, as he's been our baby for so long. I really want them to get together, but will it be impossible for them to bond if they've both exhibited dominant behavior in other herds in the past?

Have you read the threads about introductions?
The very best thing to do is to introduce them on entirely neutral territory (like a run on grass or a temporary run inside. Keep it simple, uncluttered, and ensure that all cage wares have 2 entrances so no one can get trapped. Personally I would recommend keeping it as bare as possible - perhaps a couple of log arches and 2 piles of hay, 2 piles of veg etc.

You will know really quickly if they hate each other. If they go for a fight DO NOT put your hand in - have a towel to throw over them and something like an oven glove to protect you and a dustpan to separate them.
Often the most dangerous time is after they have met, had a bite to eat and then taken a nap. It's like they wake up ready for a fight.

I wouldn't put them in a cage until you are certain that the bond has worked.
Hope this helps x

I've read a LOT of threads and watched videos. Not many talk about to older boars who have a history of dominance. I'm hoping that someone experienced can offer advice. Right now, Salsa is staying in a cage below Queso's until he becomes more used to me and my husband. I'm just worried about both the pigs if they're both "the boss". Or... does that change from pair to pair?

For it to work, one of them has to be top pig and the other the under pig. You will only know if they can get along by doing the introduction. There's no way of telling until they meet each other, I'm afraid. It just depends whether they like each other or not.

We finally are able to adopt a new pig.

Queso, our pig we've had for a few months, is 3 years old and has been very comfortable and happy since we got him. His previous owner just informed me that he can try to be the boss in the last duo he was in.

Salsa, the new guinea pig we just got, is 2 years old. His previous owner tells me that she tried to put him in the cage with her other guinea pig and there was a scuffle that resulted in an injury. However, she did not try to properly introduce the pigs.

Our plan is to keep Salsa for a few days to help him get accustomed to us then introduce him in a new environment to Queso. We may even bathe them together and if they get along, put them in a newly cleaned and rearranged cage.

I'm just wondering, should I be overly concerned that they won't get along? My biggest fear is something will happen to Queso, as he's been our baby for so long. I really want them to get together, but will it be impossible for them to bond if they've both exhibited dominant behavior in other herds in the past?

Hi! Please take the time to read our bonding and introduction advice. It is very detailed and as clear as possible. Please be aware that you can only do so much. Whether two piggies get along or not is ultimately down to them and whether their personalities mesh or not.
You need to have a plan B at the ready before you start in case they do not work out. The key to any successful boar bond is mutual liking and character compatibility, and you can't force either.
A buddy bath and other touted "tricks" are not a magic wand and for the piggies confusing rather than helpful, not once the boys get down to the business end.
Have your oven gloves at the ready, but be aware that you cannot falter at the first sign of dominance behaviour. It is going to look rough and mean to our politically correct eyes, but that is how piggies function when they work out a hierarchy and only then a relationship. Do not separate unless there is a full blown fight or one of the boars is being mounted so incessantly that he can eat, drink or sleep in peace. If necessary, leave the boars in the bonding pen overnight.
PS: Don't expect Queso to necessarily come out on top. Bonding usually work out if you have got two laid back boys or one dominant and submissive one. If you have got two boys who want to be top, then it won't work. You can usually find out fairly quickly whether the initial humping is going down well or not. At least boars tend to be straight forward when bonding, unlike sows.
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Best of luck! Bonding is always like riding a tiger...

I don't have anything constructive to add - @Wiebke and @VickiA have covered it all.
Just wanted to say that I am so happy to see you posting here agin.
I have followed your wonderful story of rescuing Queso from the start, and am glad he finally has the chance to have a friend.

I don't have anything constructive to add - @Wiebke and @VickiA have covered it all.
Just wanted to say that I am so happy to see you posting here agin.
I have followed your wonderful story of rescuing Queso from the start, and am glad he finally has the chance to have a friend.

Oh thank you so much! :) Queso has brought so much joy to our lives. Once the pair have bonded (hopefully!) I will be posting pictures here for you all to see. Little Salsa has a similar coat to Queso and I think they would look so cute next to each other. The photographer for my wedding adopted Salsa from someone at PetSmart who no longer wanted her two guinea pigs. However, the photographer realized she didn't have enough time for three guinea pigs. She knew I loved Queso and so she asked me to adopt Salsa. It's our first week moved in to our new home and it's Salsa's first day here, but I hope we can all be a big happy family very soon. <3

And as an afterthought - you could put a small rat sized soft toy (piggy safe) in with them if the initial introduction goes ok . This can help with the humping if one is getting fed up with the other constantly humping him. It allows the determined humper an object to hump that won't fight back.

Hope it goes well, if not maybe have them neutered & after 7 weeks put them in with a female.
Some piggies are happy to be put side by side & be by themselves, but a lot can get lonely.

Just an update on the boys, we've been calling Salsa... Salsa Verde, lol! But, also we keep Salsa under Queso's cage and mostly out of sight. However, I've noticed Queso, whom is usually VERY fat and lazy, has perked up a lot! He's been running around his cage and happily chewing, jumping, and even popcorning a few times.We haven't even introduced them yet, but Queso seems a lot happier. Is that normal?

Queso is responding to the presence of another piggy in the house - someone who speaks his language.

Is there any way to put the cages next to each other so they can see each other before you decide to brave the introductions?

Queso is responding to the presence of another piggy in the house - someone who speaks his language.

Is there any way to put the cages next to each other so they can see each other before you decide to brave the introductions?

Unfortunately no, Queso's cage fits perfectly between the wall and the fake fireplace in our new home. The home is very small and there isn't a bigger place to make any lateral additions to the cage. (However, we do plan to put an extra half level on top in the future.) I've read in some places that you can hold the new guinea pig next to the other pig's cage and let them touch noses. I wasn't sure if this is a good idea or not because I was afraid Queso might get aggressive or territorial thinking a piggy is encroaching on "his" space. Should I let them touch noses in between bars when I get Salsa Verde out?

Not sure about that @CheeseMommy. All introductions should be on neutral territory. But you could start by putting each other's beds into the other ones cage so that they get the scent of each other.

Not sure about that @CheeseMommy. All introductions should be on neutral territory. But you could start by putting each other's beds into the other ones cage so that they get the scent of each other.

I had to switch their water bottles (after being TOTALLY sterilized) for the sake of one of them didn't fit in the cage. I think I will try this bed switching idea too, I think it's a good idea. I think Salsa Verde is healthy, he's been watched after for a month by my friend who has two other pigs. He hasn't shown any signs of illness. He's very active and curious. But, I'm still trying to be careful. I would hurt so bad if Queso was harmed somehow. (He's my little world. ;_;)

I wouldn't hold your new piggie up to Queso's cage - he could feel very threatened, and it would be a shame if bonding got off on the wrong foot.

The idea of switching beds is good though.
Or just rub each guinea pig over with a small cloth and place the cloth in the otehr pigs cage.

The first time the 2 are introduced should really be in as large an area as possible, with no places for one piggie to get trapped, and a large piles of hay/food around the area.
Before I did introductions I read (and reread) all the guides on this forum as well as pictures of body language.
It was still stressful (mostly for me I think) but the guides helped me to know what to expect and how to react so as not to mess up the guinea pigs natural process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back