New Guinea pig after one dies

VanessaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My gorgeous Zeb was unfortunately put to sleep last Friday 8th April, he was almost 4, he leaves behind his brother Jasper who’s about 19 months. I’m going to obviously get a new brother for him, he’s ok at the moment but I think that’s because I’ve been home with him since. I’ve only bonded once before when Zeb’s brother Jed died, I’d got them at the same time. Zeb took to Jasper straight away luckily and I was able to put them together the day after Jasper came. I need a bit of advice and opinion though please - does anyone think I should get 2 boys so when one goes they’ll already be a cage mate? I have a 5x2 C&C cage, would that be big enough for 3? Or would Jasper too overwhelmed if I got 2. Jasper is quite a naughty and boisterous boy rather then chilled like Zeb was. Any advice would be so much appreciated.
Thanks

I’m sorry for your loss.

Its almost impossible to keep three boars together - doing so usually ends up with fights and separated piggies (potentially ending with three single piggies and therefore three separate cages with all piggies refusing to live together), plus a 5x2 cage is nowhere near big enough to attempt a boar trio (Not that we recommend doing so, even with a bigger cage - but you’d be looking at something more like a 9x2 or bigger to attempt a boar trio (so they each had enough territory) and even then it still would be unlikely to work as the character clashes are almost inevitable with 3 boars, particularly young boars). Boars need to be kept in pairs only, so if you choose to bond with another boar, definitely only get one.

The alternative is to neuter him, have them six week post op wait to become infertile and then find him a sow or two. A 5x2 is big enough for a neutered boar and up to two sows

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Last edited:
Thanks so much, you’ve actually confirmed exactly what I thought to be honest.
Even thinking again of the bonding process is really stressing me out. As I say I was so lucky that Zeb was so chilled and accepted Jasper straight away, I hope I’ll be as lucky this time.
I’m going to get one from the same breeder I got Jasp from.
It feels awful really getting another one so soon but I know Jasper will need a new cage mate.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss. We have got a Rainbow Bridge Section if you would like to remember Zeb in there.

Have you considered contacting one of our recommended good welfare standard rescues in the wider London area for rescue dating Jasper? There are currently so many no longer wanted boars stuck in rescue between the big post-pandemic dump and now the even bigger price hike dump.
More about rescue dating: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Carefully vetted recommended guinea pig rescues: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

If you would rather neuter and then bond or rescue date Jasper after a 6 weeks safety wait, here is our comprehensive neutering guide: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Back