• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Guinea pig after death

Stevie127

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Last night my Guinea pig stevie died leaving his 4 year old cagemate alyx alone. I know that Guinea pigs are social animals so we are looking for a new one.

But how old should it be? If we got a younger one (a baby), I'm afraid that it would be alone after alyxs death and we would have to keep getting new ones to not leave them alone. Is it preferable to get a younger one (more readily available to us) or one around alyxs age?

I'm so sorry for your loss of Stevie. It really depends on the personalities of the piggies you are trying to introduce. If you choose to adopt from a rescue, most do trialing or "dating" before adopting to see if they will get along 👍

Have a look at the rescue locator for the UK: Rescue Locator

So very sorry for your loss 🌈 You are doing the right thing thinking of a new friend.

I agree, compatibility is key. Unfortunately it is not as simple as introducing a new piggy and a common misconception that babies are the better option. Whilst a young pig is often accepted at first, in a few months when the hormonal stage begins, they can very quickly fall out.

Please do contact a rescue and consider 'boar dating' to try find a new friend.

Hi,

I'm so sorry for your loss and Alyx's loss...unfortunately its not as easy as just finding a baby...you have to make sure they're compatible with eachother. My 9-11 year old female piggy is yet to find a good cage mate...she is a grump we have tried babies she attacked them both...we have tried an adult piggy again she attacked her...then lockdown happened so we haven't been able to find one right now for her...I have two males but with them all being rescued the two males aren't neutered and she isn't spayed so they can only see eachother through their cages...the best bet for you is to find a rescue that you can take Alyx to and find a nice bond for him there as they will help with bonding which is what we plan to do with our female piggy...and if one of our males passes we will do it with thw surviving one...plus adopting is much better not necessarily easier as you are providing a loving home to a animal that has been left behind...and despite their difficult start they have always been the most loving animals I have ever had...

Last night my Guinea pig stevie died leaving his 4 year old cagemate alyx alone. I know that Guinea pigs are social animals so we are looking for a new one.

But how old should it be? If we got a younger one (a baby), I'm afraid that it would be alone after alyxs death and we would have to keep getting new ones to not leave them alone. Is it preferable to get a younger one (more readily available to us) or one around alyxs age?

Hi and welcome!

I am ever so sorry for your loss!
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

If you can get to one of our recommended good welfare standard rescues that offer rescue dating, this allows Alyx to have a say in who he is getting on with and wants to be together. Any happy bond relies on mutual liking and character compatibility, whether that is a baby or a similar aged boar; age comes a long second.

With a baby on spec, you face the fact that they may not gel and the baby growing into a teenager with dominance clashes. With an older boar, you don't have these issues but a character match and acceptance is crucial. You always have to have a plan B for a bonding fail at the ready in case you are bringing home a potential companion yourself; with rescue dating you come home with a new mate only if there is a match and you have the rescue to fall back on in case there is a problem.

You can find more information on boar companionship aspects and rescue dating in these links below:
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (includes a chapter on companionship options with more details discussion of pros and cons of each option)

Rescues, Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs (Includes a chapter on rescue dating)
Our locator of carefully vetted recommended good welfare standard rescues: Rescue Locator

Back