New girls

Reba

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Not so much a new Guinea pig owner, I did have them for approx 10 years, but ive had a few years break without them.
I just picked up these girls, Jessie and Trixie (my sons a toy story fan and I let him name them), they're around 15 weeks old, and I got them from an ad on pets4homes, being sold very cheaply in a small cage from a guy who's kids were already bored of them.

I hadn't planned to get any piggies again, but when I saw the ad I feared them being taken for dog bait or reptile food, or even bought and kept in the small cage so I went for them!

So any little tips or advice I might need is welcome, I used to consider myself a piggy expert, but like I say it's been a few years since I had them.
These girls are still very skittish, and have surprised me with how high they can jump (very nearly had an escape on their first day when Jessie took a running jump out the cage soon as I opened it), and I've yet to hear them squeak, which I'm finding a little unusual, especially as they're in the kitchen. They have purred with strokes and are eating and drinking great though.

(also the bin they're in is not their home, it was just somewhere safe to put them whilst I sorted their new cage, as it was a very quick sale and collection I wasn't prepared in advance of getting them)

818485.webp818480.webp

:wel:

This link will help you. It’s a lot of information but you will find it useful.
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

One thing I will add here is don’t give them that much carrot. Carrot is not healthy for them, it’s too high in sugar. If you are going to give carrot then make sure you cut off just one thin piece and don’t give it more than once a week.

Hello and welcome. Along with the link and advice above, I would recommend you check for yourself that they’re both sows. Unfortunately if someone wants to ‘get rid’ or pass on piggies, they could say what they want. I’d also get them booked into a vet in the next week.

Hope you can get their cage sorted soon. If it’s a c&c then make sure there’s nothing for the girl to jump off and escape. You could counteract that by making the sides two grids high. If they’re to live in a cage with a lid then that’s okay.

Enjoy them.

Welcome to the forum
You on you from saving these lovely little piggies from a very uncertain future. Ask away there’s always someone with experience and it’s nice to talk piggie stuff 😊

:wel:

This link will help you. It’s a lot of information but you will find it useful.
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

One thing I will add here is don’t give them that much carrot. Carrot is not healthy for them, it’s too high in sugar. If you are going to give carrot then make sure you cut off just one thin piece and don’t give it more than once a week.

Thanks for this! They only had whole carrots in there as I left them long so my son could hold them and hand feed them, without being worried of being bitten, he's only 4 and still a bit wary of them.
They didn't eat the whole carrots, just some nibbles before they got settled in their new home 🤗

Hello and welcome. Along with the link and advice above, I would recommend you check for yourself that they’re both sows. Unfortunately if someone wants to ‘get rid’ or pass on piggies, they could say what they want. I’d also get them booked into a vet in the next week.

Hope you can get their cage sorted soon. If it’s a c&c then make sure there’s nothing for the girl to jump off and escape. You could counteract that by making the sides two grids high. If they’re to live in a cage with a lid then that’s okay.

Enjoy them.

Hi, thanks for this advice. I have now had a good check and they thankfully are both girls!
They're now settled in with a midsized ferplast cage for a base/to contain the hay, but always open with a large run keeping them safe in the big empty corner I had in my kitchen. Have had no escapes since that first day 😅

They're settling in beautifully, and have finally started wheeking for food which I was delighted to hear as I prepped some veggies. I've missed being shouted at by piggies!

Welcome to the forum.
I rescued 2 girls from Gumtree for the same reasons you rescued your gorgeous pair.
Hope you find the forum helpful and fun.

It's not surprising they're scared, quiet and skittish. Ours were also like that when they were new, as they had not really been handled. Give them somewhere dark to hide and a few days to settle and they'll do fine.

Back